International Organization for Migration
Position Title: Supply Chain Management Officer
Duty Station: Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 12 October 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Dhaka, Bangladesh and direct supervision of the Head of Resources Management and in close coordination with the Deputy Chief of Mission (Emergency) in Cox’s Bazar, and in close collaboration with the Regional Office (RO) and the Supply Chain Division at Headquarters (HQ), the Supply Chain Management Officer will be responsible and accountable for overseeing the supply chain activities, guided by Supply Chain Management (SCM) objectives to deliver quality goods/services to the beneficiaries at optimal price and in a timely manner.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Conduct strategic planning for supply chain related activities of the Country Office (CO) in close collaboration, with internal and external stakeholders in the country, as well as relevant Units at RO and HQ.
- Conduct logistics capacity assessment and market research to keep abreast decisionmakers about local market trends and developments; analyze statistical data and market reports on the commodity situation, production patterns and availability of good and services.
- Supervise and manage and provide first-line support and guidance for all supply chain management related tasks and activities, including planning, budgeting, scheduling and provision of goods and services needed by the CO. Prepare regular progress reports, statistical information and briefing notes, as required.
- Lead and supervise the supply chain activities in the CO, including planning, procurement, warehouse management, transport and distribution, fleet, assets and facilities management, logistics information management and reporting, and provide guidance and training to the relevant staff with respect to the related policies, rules and regulations.
- Identify supply chain bottlenecks (value stream mapping) and optimize the processes to fill the gaps and ensure beneficiaries receive quality goods and services in a timely and efficient manner.
- Review procurement requests, identify service providers, and evaluate information regarding vendor’s performance in terms of quality, prices, and timely delivery of goods/services. Maintain a pool of qualified vendors.
- Solicit bids, quotations and tender documents, oversee bidding process and provide guidance for executing the procurement transactions, analyze the offers assuring conformity to specified requirements; conduct appraisals and select suppliers, and confirm terms of payment; supervise the preparation and processing of the purchase orders, and ensure receiving authorization in line with the CO’s Delegation of Authority (DoA) matrix.
- Liaise with the programme management and provide first- line technical support in preparing and issuance of “Call for Proposals” and bidding documents for the tendering processes of the programmes/projects. Ensure bidding processes are conducted fairly, transparently and in accordance with the existing procurement rules and regulations.
- In coordination with relevant parties, ensure timely submission of asset procurement and other reports within the CO, RO and relevant HQ departments, as appropriate.
- Establish and manage a robust and appropriate internal control mechanisms for Supply Chain Management process to safeguard the Organization’s assets and prevent fraud, while ensuring that country specific administrative procedures are in place and followed in accordance with the Organization’s rules and regulations.
- Monitor the maintenance and repair of office facilities, including preventive maintenance.
- Establishment maintenance agreements with competent service providers when it is feasible and determined to be cost effective.
- Supervise, train and guide the SCM staff of CO, while monitoring, evaluating and promoting their professional and career development.
- Represent the CO in the United Nations (UN) inter-agency meetings and forums related to SCM. Collaborate on sharing resources to achieve common goals and implementation of UN global initiatives.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Management, Logistis, Procurement or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Extensive experience with IOM/UN procurement and financial rules, as well as IOM’s system and processes as they apply to procurement and logistics;
- Experience in procurement and logistics management in an emergency, post crisis setting;
- Experience working with vendors and service providers in compliance with IOM’s procurement procedures and standards to secure cost-effective quality solutions;
- Experience in supervising, training, managing, and developing capacity of large teams of co-workers;
- Experience working on complex projects with a demonstrated record of meeting deadlines;
- Experience within the International Humanitarian Field and within organizations of the UN Common System.
- Knowledge of Global Procurement and Supply Chain rules, regulations, and practices.
- Extensive knowledge of IOM internal procurement and financial rules, as well as IOM’s PRISM elements as they apply to procurement and logistics.
- Sound knowledge of asset management processes and procedures.
- Excellent communication and writing skills with the ability to analyse complex problems and identify and convey clear, rapid solutions.
- Strong general analytical skills.
- Excellent level of computer literacy and good knowledge of SAP/PRISM required.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Fluency in Bengali is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE, via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 12 October 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2022 265 Supply Chain Management Officer (P3) Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh (57773386) Released
Posting: Posting NC57773387 (57773387) Released
*Closing date: 12-Oct-22