National Democratic Institute
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is seeking candidates for a Temporary Project Assistant. This is a temporary (no benefits) position for up to 6 months (initially 3 months with the possibility of a 3-month extension based on performance and budget), with NDI’s Southern and East Africa (SEA) Team. The Project Assistant will be responsible for assisting with implementation of democratic development programs in this region. The ideal candidate will be diligent, organized and an enthusiastic recent graduate with strong communication skills and demonstrated interest in democratic development programs.
- Assist with program logistics, including travel arrangements (when necessary), meeting schedules, and briefing books for traveling NDI staff, consultants, and delegations;
- Collect and distribute foreign and domestic newspaper, magazine, and/or academic articles pertaining to Southern and East African affairs;
- Review and summarize documents and information from subgrantees;
- Provide administrative support on assigned country programs, including filing, faxing, copying, and mailing;
- Assist in researching and drafting periodic reports on NDI programs;
- Attend events and lectures on Southern and East Africa and provide written summaries to team members;
- Attend NDI events and program meetings and provide minutes to team members;
- Review documentation of regional office expenditures;
- Assist in organizing document archives of NDI programs in the SEA region; and
- Complete special projects as requested.
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or current graduate student, or a recent graduate of such a program (relevant degree programs might include, but are not limited to: African studies, international development, international relations, or political science);
- Some knowledge of Southern and East Africa and an interest in learning more;
- Experience with event planning and managing logistics strongly desirable;
- Strong cultural competency, sensitivity, and ability to work in diverse team environments;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong research and writing skills;
- Fluency in oral and written English; additional language skills desirable, particularly Portuguese;
- Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.) strongly desired.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Ability to work independently and with others in a fast-paced environment; and
This is a temporary, paid, no benefits, position. Applications are now being accepted for an August start date. Project Assistants are encouraged to attend workshops, lectures, and other staff development events at NDI. Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
To comply with tax and legal obligations, all candidates for DC-based positions must reside in Maryland, DC, or Virginia. While there may be flexibility for remote/hybrid work environments, candidates must be residents of MD, DC, or VA or relocate prior to the start of employment at NDI.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
NDI is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). As such, NDI makes employment decisions and provides equal employment opportunity without regard to an applicant’s or employee’s race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state and local laws. If you need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please notify NDI’s Human Resources department.
How to apply
Closing date: 9/29/2022