NetHope enables humanitarian organizations to better serve individuals and communities in the developing world through smarter use of technology. Working at the intersection of the international NGO sector, private business and technology innovation, NetHope is a Membership organization currently serving over 60 leading humanitarian, development, and conservation organizations around the world. NetHope empowers our Member organizations to collaborate, innovate, and leverage the full potential of information and communications technology to support their work in 190 countries. NetHope and our Members partner with over 50 of the world’s leading technology firms to create innovative solutions to existing and emerging challenges, and to reimagine how technology can improve our world.
This is an exciting time at NetHope as the organization develops programs and services in collaboration with members and partners. Working with the team of staff and expert consultants, the Video and Blended Learning Curriculum Designer would help NetHope to grow both online and in-person training offerings to allow more individuals globally to engage in focused learning regarding information technology, connectivity, and its’ applicable uses in the humanitarian sector. Currently NetHope offers Members, partners, and collaborators training on Disaster Response Connectivity Connectivity, along with in-depth workshops modularized with a focus on technical areas like setting up and maintaining IT systems.
Video & Blended Learning Curriculum Designer
NetHope is seeking and experienced, organized, and enthusiastic professional to assess the current trainings offered within the Humanitarian ICT space and align those with NetHope’s current training offerings. With this, the Curriculum Designer will produce deliverables that ensure high-quality content that will subsequently be produced for online audiences. To support the professionalization of training offerings, NetHope is recruiting consultant(s) who can develop blended and video-based learning curriculum across a variety of topics. Consultants will work remotely to complete the duties and responsibilities outlined below while reporting to the NetHope Senior Director, Field and Impact Programs, and will have direct involvement with NetHope’s SMEs.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Create online courses with the following sectoral themes that will allow learners to take asynchronously/before attending an in-person training:
- Disaster Response Training
- Point to Point
- Sustainable Energy Concepts & Practice
- VSAT Systems
- Emergency Response Coordination & Information Management
- Coordinate with NetHope staff and Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to support curriculum design and development from the conception to pre-production phases
- Creation of scripts, accompanying PPTs, and module tests/checks on learning
- Conduct research and collect and curate relevant learning resources
- Regularly report to the project manager on the status of the curriculum
- Craft measurable learning objectives for each module and the curriculum
- Outline curriculum, including content for asynchronous and synchronous sessions
- Write scripts for the asynchronous video portion of the curriculum
- Design and curate learner engagement strategies for the asynchronous video portion of the curriculum (offline assignments, reference materials, quizzes)
- Create supplementary learning resources including but not limited to learner workbooks, case studies, and slide decks for uploading to our NetHope LMS: skills.nethope.org
- Create facilitators guides for engaging synchronous sessions, including those designed for in-person and remote facilitation
- Create tests/surveys for participant to confirm that they have completed the training or have the knowledge needed.
- Support the NetHope team to accredit the training as Continuing Professional Education through CPD
- Support with translation of the training materials to Spanish and French (and added benefit).
While the first year of training development will focus on professional products that are a.) branded appropriately, b.) complement each other, c.) provide a quality, adult learner experience, the goal is to have these made into videos (with animation) in subsequent years.
- A passion for NetHope’s mission and for working collaboratively and nimbly in a fast-paced dynamic global environment
- Cultural sensitivity across all aspects of work
- Values and encourages diversity of thought, backgrounds, and perspectives
- Solid judgement including handling of sensitive information
- Integrity/ethics beyond reproach
- Excellent at working in a networked & virtual team environment
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining vigilant attention to detail in a fast-paced working environment
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent writing skills and native proficiency in English.
- Ability to write in a range of different styles: academic, business, conversational, and technical
- Precision, accuracy, attention to detail, and patience
- Proficiency in using MS Word, and Excel, PowerPoint
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution preferred or equivalent work experience. Preference for degree in Education, Instructional Design or other relevant field
- Experience in producing training materials for technical trainings preferred.
- Experience designing and developing adult learning curriculum including writing learning objectives, facilitator guides, and scripts applying adult learning principles
- Experience translating theoretical concepts into easily understood language using real-life and contextual examples, case studies, and culturally appropriate analogies and metaphors
- Previous experience working internationally, virtually/remote/ and preferably in the nonprofit/humanitarian space.
- NetHope Member experience highly valued, other NGO experience a plus
Reporting and Working Conditions:
- This position is a consultancy with an expected workload of 6-months over a 9-month period reporting to the Senior Director, Field & Impact Programs and working closely with the program team.
- NetHope is a virtual organization, so our team, our Members, and our Partners are located around the world. Due to the global nature of the organization, meetings may thus be required at any time of the day to meet with our stakeholders in varying time zones. To meet these needs, NetHope embraces flexible schedules for team members, and we work with each other to be located globally, but still maintain a reasonable work time balance.
- As a global organization, we welcome qualified applicants with diverse backgrounds from various locations, and who may have non-traditional work patterns.
- NetHope is a networked team-oriented environment with staff working across functional areas to produce high-quality programs, services, and connections with our Members. We value open communication and believe that a staff working as a team produces the best outcomes.
- This position is 100% remote and virtual.
How to apply
Should this opportunity interest you, please submit your application in confidence here. Applications will be accepted until October 21, 2022.