International Organization for Migration
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Operations Assistant (Field Support)
Duty Station : Ciudad Guatemala, Guatemala
Classification : General Service Staff, G5
Type of Appointment : One Year Fixed Term with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : May 30, 2022
Reference Code : VN2022/034GT
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the
leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental,
intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane
and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to
governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates
are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates
are considered as first-tier candidates.
Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a
fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need
of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a
cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of
more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations departments
in various IOM missions, coordinated under the division of Resettlement and Movement
Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s
Geneva Headquarters, are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees
under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with
resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the
Under the general supervision of the Operations Officer and the direct supervision of the
Senior Operations Assistant, the Operations Assistant (Field Support) is responsible for
undertaking movement operations activities in the field, with the following duties and
responsibilities activities, with the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Undertake field activities in an assigned area or areas, such as at an airport, transit center, third-party facility, camp-based operation or sub-office, or in relation to transportation. As required, monitor and guide teams of Operations Clerks and Operations Assistants in completing field support activities.
2. In coordination with the Senior Operations Assistant, lead Field Support Teams as they perform airport services, as well as perform airport services when required, such as providing custodial care of travel documentation; verifying identities and documentation, including exit permissions, visas, tickets and other items in the travel bag; assisting with airport formalities, including flight arrivals, curb-side assistance, check-in, luggage formalities, immigration procedures, security screening systems and customs clearance; escorting arriving individuals to ground transportation and departing individuals to their gates; visually confirming flights have departed; ensuring individuals with special needs or equipment receive appropriate support; and, as needed, sending notifications using relevant systems.
3. Lead Field Support Teams as they assist individuals at transit centers or third-party facilities, including upon arrival with sign-in, verification of identity, orientation, food and non-food items and room assignments; during their stay with food and non-food items, instructions, briefings, activities and resolution of issues; and upon departure for medical appointments, return travel or onward travel with briefings, luggage support and transition to transportation. Enter and update relevant data in the appropriate systems and ensure vulnerable individuals are assisted in a manner that ensures their safety, security and comfort; report all issues immediately to the appropriate supervisor(s).
4. Assist in the coordination of timely and adequate services for meals, snacks and water for individual staying at Transit Centers, third-party facilities or during transit in airports and other locations. Work closely with the service provider to ensure meals are culturally appropriate and to reduce the level of waste while keeping the quality of the food at the highest standard.
5. Work with units and departments and beneficiaries on pre-departure formalities including but not limited to travel loans, luggage, prohibited items, bag tags and clothing/shoes. Assist with daily discussions with beneficiaries on cleanliness, litter and hygiene. Keep all posters and informational messages up-to-date and placed in visible locations.
6. Provide assistance at transit centers and third-party facilities for extended periods of up to 12 hours and during overnight periods, ensuring the needs of individuals are met throughout their stay. Communicate promptly with third-party facility representatives and/or supervisors if issues arise.
7. Lead the coordination of transportation from consolidation points, transit centers and third-party facilities, including liaising with service providers, ensuring the identity verification, readiness and organization of individuals being transported, and providing relevant briefings. Ensure baggage sorting, tagging and handling is done appropriately and arrange for individuals to be escorted on transportation as needed. Ensure persons with special needs are provided with appropriate services and report any issues to supervisors immediately.
8. Provide selection mission support, exit permit support and/or interpretation services for individuals at the airport, in transit centers, camps, consolidation points and third-party facilities or during transport by air, ground or water.
9. Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the Senior Operations Assistant and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues requiring their attention.
10. Alert the Senior Operations Assistant or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
11. Perform such other duties as may be assigned
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education and Experience
• Five years of working experience with secondary [high school] education; three years of working experience with Bachelor’s degree.
• Prior Movement Operations or transportation experience a strong advantage;
• Strong computer skills – Word, Excel and Internet
• Strong computer skills – Word, Excel and Internet.
• Ability to use own initiative and work under pressure with minimum supervision
Fluency in English and Spanish (oral and written)
Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY:
External Candidates that comply with the profile will need to send the Resume and a letter of interest to [email protected] by May 30th, 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
Any offer made to the candidates in relation to this vacancy is subject to funding confirmation. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
KEEP IN MIND:
• The motivation/cover letter should be a maximum of 1 page long and in English. It should state the position(s) you are applying for • The CV should be a maximum of 2 pages long and in English. • Only the applications that comply with the required profile will be taken into consideration. • Those applications received after the due date or the ones that don’t include the name of the position, will not be considered. • This vacancy is open for local staff or international staff with legal permit to work in the Country. • The attachment shouldn’t weight over 2 MB. Posting period: From 15.05.2022 to 30.05.2022