Mercy-USA for Aid and Development
NATURE AND SCOPE OF THE POSITION
Mercy-USA’s programs in Somalia cover a wide variety of sectors including WASH, Health, Nutrition, Education, Agriculture and Food Security, and Livelihoods through support from various multilateral, bilateral and private donors.
The WASH Engineer will be responsible for technical assessments, design of construction projects, supervision of construction, and assessment of completed projects.
- Conducts technical assessments on the infrastructure (Water and Sanitation) surveys;
- Develops design plans, working drawings, technical specifications, bill of quantities as per approved standards by the donor and the relevant Ministries for all construction works outlined on the project designs for the said projects, including emergency sanitation facilities;
- Ensures that all WASH components are implemented as per the project papers, including design, developing of bills of quantities for water supplies, emergency latrines, Emergency WASH NFIs etc., as per identified needs and within provisions of the project budget;
- Develops, negotiates and manages contracts with service providers (may include preparation of tender documents for purposes of soliciting bids/tenders from contractors for the said project);
- Assists in ensuring the close liaison and consultation with the communities leaders during implementation of the WASH services as per project document requirement;
- Assists in undertaking of the capacity building of the various groups involved in projects, including Household Sanitation Committees, Water/WASH Committees, Community Hygiene Promoters, in aspects of Water Sanitation and Hygiene in an emergency humanitarian situation;
- Conducts regular site visits to construction sites makes reports on findings and recommendations;
- Participates in kick-off meetings with selected construction companies to endure their understanding of technical requirements and BoQs;
- Prepares designs and BoQs for WASH infrastructure especially shallow wells, boreholes, tap stands, water kiosks, solar powered water systems and latrines, including infrastructure suitable for persons with disabilities;
- Monitors the implementation of WASH related contracts and proper quality of work and services and ensures that the specifications and dimensions are matching the BoQs or drawings;
- Designs and carries out operation and maintenance trainings for beneficiaries;
- Prepares technical assessments, progress, final and monitoring reports of WASH infrastructure;
- Monitors the technical condition of the infrastructure;
- Oversees the procedure of regular water testing and signs of the report;
- Any other duties as required by the PDQC and Head of Programs;
- Frequent travels to the field locations.
- Provide technical support to partners in implementation of water schemes restoration/ rehabilitation interventions;
- Support in social mobilization around technical issues when applicable.
Administration and reporting
- Compile project technical reports highlighting project impact against indicators;
- Contribute to field-based reports to Mercy-USA/or external donors.
- Degree in Engineering
- Master Degree (M.Sc.)
- At least 2-year experience in same field;
- Technical expertise in WASH infrastructure;
- Experience in constructing solar powered water infrastructure;
- Experience working in complex contexts;
- Experience working in humanitarian/development programming.
- Technical expertise in Health/Nutrition infrastructure;
- Previous work experience in Somalia.
Work related skills
- Fluency in English and Somali (written and oral) required;
- Knowledge about water and sanitation infrastructure;
- Knowledge about solar powered water systems;
- MS Office very good;
- Writing detailed and coherent technical reports;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Strong time management skills;
- Strong communication skills, including ability to lead and manage remote teams;
- Ability to work in harsh conditions;
- Able to meet deadlines
- Able to identify program technical challenges and plan and communicate alternatives for smooth program implementation.
- Ability to carry out water testing.
- Ability to travel to remote and hardship locations for monitoring of project activities;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Team player;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Strong customer relations skills;
How to apply
Mercy-USA for Aid and Development is dedicated to alleviating human suffering and supporting individuals and their communities in their efforts to become more self-sufficient. Incorporated in the State of Michigan in 1988, Mercy-USA’s projects focus on improving health, nutrition and access to safe water, as well as promoting economic and educational growth around the world.
Any interested candidate can send a CV and cover letter to the following email address: [email protected]
The applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with the deadline to apply 31st May 2022
What we stand for: – Mercy USA for Aid and Development is committed to creating and maintaining a caring and protective environment, which promotes its core values, and prevents and addresses child abuse and exploitation. We strongly condemn all form of child abuse and exploitation, be it within or outside of our organization, and always respond to any case of proven, alleged or attempted abuse within our sphere of influence according to its nature. Efforts ensure that mechanisms are in place to raise awareness, aid prevention, encourage reporting and ease response.
Mercy USA for Aid and Development does not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, race, or persons with disabilities.