Save the Children
Period of Performance: February 6, 2023 – March 24, 2023
LOE: 16 days total (14 days in CDI)
Hiring Manager: Lenette Golding, Senior Advisor, Behavior Change & Community Health, SCUS, [email protected]
This two-year research project aims to identify tailored solutions for reducing children’s hazardous labor in cocoa-growing communities in the Man Department of Côte d’Ivoire. Our focus is on children’s four most frequent tasks on cocoa farms: using machetes, spraying pesticides, applying fertilizers, and carrying loads that are too heavy. We are examining the intersecting social norms, behavioral barriers, and facilitators that lead to hazardous child labor to develop and test potential solutions and identify how to best implement the solutions at scale.
Description of Services
The consultant will be engaged for a short-term consultancy with a 100% effort for a maximum of sixteen (16) days to train the Save the Children team and facilitate Action Media workshops in Côte d’Ivoire. Specifically, the consultant will:
- Review existing formative research reports and communication materials that Save the Children will provide
- Develop the workshop objectives and detailed session plans
- Train co-facilitators from the Save the Children team on Action Media methodology
- Review draft concepts and materials with the Action Media participants and the Save the Children team working on this study
- Write a report with details about the workshop and outcomes
Responsibilities of Save the Children
Save the Children has the following responsibilities.
- Facilitate agreements and payments with the consultant per the HR policy of Save the Children.
- Brief the consultant on the assignment and provide technical and logistical support throughout the process of this assignment
- Provide research reports and existing IEC materials to the consultant
- Develop research protocol and consent forms
- Submit the research protocol to Save the Children’s Ethical Review Board for clearance
- Work with the consultant to develop workshop objectives
- Review the Action Media workshop report
The consultant will have the following essential qualifications:
- Experienced in using participatory methods and working with audiences with lower literacy
- Willingness to travel and work in Côte d’Ivoire
- Demonstrated workshop planning and facilitation experience
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated experience developing participatory research protocols and tools
See full list of deliverables and posting here.
Authorship: The report on the Action Media workshop will be identified as a product of Save the Children.
Lenette Golding, Senior Advisor, Save the Children, US. The consultant will be working with a Core Team (comprised of Lenette and SC CDI staff and Save the Children’s Center for Utilizing Behavioral Insights for Children (CUBIC) staff.
How to apply
If interested, please apply by submitting a CV and cover letter including a proposed daily rate as one document to Lenette Golding ([email protected]) by December 16, 2023.