US Institute of Peace
Who We Are
Peace is our commitment. The United States Institute of Peace represents the American people’s shared values and commitment to peace worldwide. We know that Peace is Security – it advances both U.S. and international security by preventing, managing, and mitigating violent conflict.
We are an independent, non-partisan institution and are actively engaged with peacebuilding efforts worldwide. Together we tackle the most challenging problems and hold fast to the possibility of a more peaceful world. To learn more about USIP programs and job openings, go to https://www.usip.org/about/careers.
If you have a passion for making the world a better place and want to have a front-row seat on the world stage, USIP is the place for you.
The Administrative Assistant provides overall administrative support for the day-to-day operations of a busy 14-person Public Affairs and Communications (PAC) team. PAC provides public affairs and communications services to a 450+ organization and works closely with USIP’s Executive Office and every department in the organization. Develops and updates informational material, conducts research, maintains program database, and supports budget and contract management activities. The position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Deputy Director of Communications.
TARGET SALARY RANGE
Grade 7 – $50,000 – $52,000
The Institute uses the General Schedule salary tables for administering compensation. Offers are determined based upon candidate qualifications, related experience, internal equity, and the amount budgeted for the position.
* Coordinates the day-to-day operations of the Public Affairs and Communications (PAC) team, including scheduling meetings, maintaining databases and files, integrating departmental calendars, and preparing briefing materials and reports.
* Establishes and maintains project management systems, files, reports, etc.
* Develops, edits and updates PAC informational items for internal USIP staff members and external guests.
* Responds to questions regarding general PAC policies and procedures.
* Compiles regular reports on PAC activities, acts as note taker where appropriate.
* Maintain the PAC Team calendar including daily and weekly meeting schedules.
* In collaboration with the Deputy Director of Communications, assists with maintaining PAC database, files, and SalesForce contacts.
* Helps craft and coordinate requests for proposals for projects with outside vendors. Monitors contract process and prepares materials for meetings.
* Schedules and works with PAC staff to organize workshops, trainings, meetings, and activities.
* Performs research related to and provides support for high level events, as appropriate.
* Fulfills photo and office supply ordering requests.
Procurement / Finance / Travel / Budget:
* Maintains financial systems and databases, inputs transactions correctly, obligating funds, processing travel vouchers and reimbursements, and coordinates the resolution of any problems with the USIP finance staff.
* Generates routine budget reports to help monitor program budget.
* Provides contract management support activities, including completing the USIP contract template, processing invoices, and monitoring payment of contractor services. Coordinates the resolution of any problems with the USIP procurement staff.
* Makes domestic and international travel arrangements and overnight accommodations for PAC staff, coordinating travel schedules, reserving overnight accommodations and transportation modes, and obtaining and delivering tickets to the traveler. Responds to phone inquiries and answers questions from travelers regarding logistical items. Makes changes and adjustments in travel and accommodation as requested.
Performs Other Duties as Assigned.
* Bachelor’s degree in management or business-related field preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
* One (1) or more years related business or administrative experience to become familiar with general personnel practices, accounting and budgeting principles and coordination of major office activities required.
* Strong skills in the Microsoft Office Suite, particularly MS Word, MS Outlook, and MS PowerPoint, is a must.
* Strong time management skills with the ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
* Experience with Momentum/Pegasys financial management system strongly desired.
* Knowledge of Salesforce and Quickbase a plus.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to liaise with internal departments, external partners, and vendors.
* Highly motivated individual who is a self-starter with strong attention to detail.
All USIP contract and employee positions are contingent upon the favorable completion of a suitability background investigation.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this position, please submit a complete application package consisting of:
1. Completed employment application including titles, dates of hire, and salary requirements.
2. Cover letter
For questions about this position please email [email protected] Do not send resumes or attachments to this email address.
Only those applicants that are selected for further discussions will be contacted.
No Phone Calls. Interviews will be scheduled by appointment only.
USIP is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy and practice of USIP to offer equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, political affiliations or belief, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please use the following URL: