US Institute of Peace
Who We Are
Peace is our commitment. The United States Institute of Peace represents the American people’s shared values and commitment to peace worldwide. We know that Peace is Security – it advances both U.S. and international security by preventing, managing, and mitigating violent conflict.
We are an independent, non-partisan institution and are actively engaged with peacebuilding efforts worldwide. Together we tackle the most challenging problems and hold fast to the possibility of a more peaceful world. To learn more about USIP programs and job openings, go to https://www.usip.org/about/careers.
If you have a passion for making the world a better place and want to have a front-row seat on the world stage, USIP is the place for you.
The Administrative Assistant (AA) for the Religion and Inclusive Societies (RIS) Team will provide critical support to all functions of the Program and handle many core responsibilities in administration, operations and finance. The AA will support budget and contract management, activities implementation, and travel logistics using USIP’s standard policies, procedures, and guidelines. This position is based in Washington, DC Headquarters office and will report to the Director.
TARGET SALARY RANGE
Grade 7 – $50,000 – $52,000
The Institute uses the General Schedule salary tables for administering compensation. Offers are determined based upon candidate qualifications, related experience, internal equity, and the amount budgeted for the position.
• Assist in establishing and maintaining administrative policies and procedures to manage day-to-day operations of the department and the program.
• Supports the day-to-day program activities and serves as the main point of contact for the programs administrative and operational activities.
• Collaborate in monitoring impact indicators and reporting through program, center and USIP systems.
• Lead contact management for the RIS program including maintaining relevant invitation lists for key projects. .
• Assist with onboarding of new RIS team members including Research Assistants.
• Respond to questions regarding general administrative procedures and standards.
• Maintain electronic and written program-related files and documents by establishing necessary filing systems, logs, mailing lists, etc.
• Schedules internal meetings and activities, including external activities when needed.
Procurement and Budget Support
• Execute contracts, including submitting requisitions, invoice processing, and monitoring of payments. Track the progress of these items and coordinates resolution of any problems with the USIP finance and procurement staff.
• Coordinate with RIS and USIP Finance teams to obligate and expend funds, track budgets, resolve issues, and generate budget and financial reports to help monitor program budgets.
• Provides contract management support activities, including supporting COTRs in the completion of the scope of work, submitting requisitions and receipts, monitoring payment of invoices, and assisting in monthly contract reports.
• Coordinates the resolution of any problems with the USIP finance and/or procurement staff, including the communication with vendors.
• Remains up to date with internal USIP financial policies, processes, and procedures and communicates relevant updates to the Team.
• Supports routine budget reports for internal updates and external reporting.
Travel and Events
• Coordinates and implements the logistics of programs, including travel bookings, authorizations, vouchers, cash requests, and reimbursements for the team and its partners.
• Make domestic and international travel arrangements for staff, contractors, and invitational travelers by coordinating travel schedules, reserving overnight accommodations and transportation modes, and by obtaining and delivering itinerary and tickets to the traveler.
• Coordinates logistical arrangements for events. Tasks may include setting up online events, reserving hotels and conference venues, developing invitations and monitoring RSVPs, arranging catering, ordering supplies, arranging room set-up and conference services (e.g. interpretation), and serving as the main point-of-contact for attendees.
• Processes contracts and invoices and monitors monthly reports.
• Processes and ensures travel authorizations, advances, cash request, vouchers, reimbursements, contract awards and vendor invoices.
• Creates surveys in SurveyMonkey and/or Google Forms and monitors responses.
• This job may require occasional international travel.
Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in management or business-related field preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
• One (1) or more years of related administrative experience required.
• Familiar with general personnel practices, accounting and budgeting principles and coordination of major office activities.
• Excels in dynamic and team-based work environments that requires creative problem-solving and an ongoing learning mindset.
• Strong skills in the Microsoft Office Suite, particularly MS Word, MS Outlook, and MS Excel, is a must.
• Demonstrated ability to develop effective working relationships and strong interpersonal skills, including cross-cultural communication in international contexts.
• Experience with Momentum/Pegasys financial management system strongly desired.
• Experience making domestic and international travel arrangements.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Strong time management skills with the ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
• Strong communication skills, ability to liaise with internal departments, external partners, and vendors.
All USIP contract and employee positions are contingent upon the favorable completion of a suitability background investigation.
HOW TO APPLY To be considered for this position, please submit a complete application package consisting of:
- Completed employment application including titles, dates of hire, and salary requirements.
- Cover letter
For questions about this position please email [email protected] Do not send resumes or attachments to this email address.
Only those applicants that are selected for further discussions will be contacted.
No Phone Calls. Interviews will be scheduled by appointment only.
USIP is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy and practice of USIP to offer equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, political affiliations or belief, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please use the following URL: