International Rescue Committee
**Job Overview/Summary:**The Asylum Seeker Shelter Specialist provides trauma-informed casework services to program participants including welcome and reception, intake, assistance coordinating onward travel, know your rights information, and referrals to community-based resources. The role can change from day to day depending on operational needs as well as the demographics and size of the population served.
This is a full-time position for up to 6 months, with possibility of extension. Work takes place onsite at a 24/7 City of NY shelter serving asylum seekers and other migrants in need of protection, with the following shifts available:
We encourage you to apply if you have experience in one of the following:
· Case Intake
· Case Management
· Administrative support
· Shelter Operations Management
· Logistics Coordination
The Asylum Seeker Shelter Specialist may perform any or all of these duties and scope of work includes but is not limited to the following:
· Model, promote and uphold a culture of values as reflected in the IRC way: Standards of Professional Conduct, which are Integrity, Accountability, Service and Equality, and our Respect at Work policy
· Provide immediate comfort services, such as providing bottled water and food and hygiene kits and other materials as needed.
· Conduct intake of new arrivals, collecting information about the individual in order to provide appropriate services while they are on site.
· Conduct reconnection services to support individuals to quickly get resettled within or outside of New York City with friends/family/sponsor within or beyond New York City, or with Department of Homeless Services Shelter System as necessary.
· Provide basic legal orientation.
· Troubleshoot and resolve issues as they arise, escalating to shelter management staff as necessary.
· Support robust language access for all guests, by assigning staff with appropriate language competency for our guests (primarily Spanish as of Sept 2022).
· Coordinate with other on-site service providers, including health care teams, facilities management teams, and more.
· Comply with all policies, procedures, and protocols of the agency.
· Other related duties as assigned.
· Minimum 1-year professional experience in any of the above sectors preferable
· Volunteer experience working with vulnerable populations is desirable
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
· Cultural sensitivity: ability to build trust with clients, colleagues and partners
· Competency in trauma informed practices
· Must be a team player, detail oriented and reliable
· Ability to work successfully with others
Language Skills: Fluency in written and spoken English required; Spanish strongly preferred and prioritized
- 100% onsite position at City of NY-run shelter
· Ability to work during non-traditional hours such as evenings, overnights, and weekends as needed
· Ability to lift 35 lbs to 50 lbs to move furniture, household supplies, and boxes.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires new hires to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-office or hybrid positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
How to apply
Please apply on our website: