Results for Development Institute
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
R4D is a growing, fast-paced, results oriented and mission driven team. We are a supportive and flexible employer. Join us!
This position is based in the US and reports to the CFO.
We’re recruiting for a qualified Business Development (BD) Manager to play a key role in enabling R4D to secure program funding that enables us to improve the quality and affordability of health care, ensure kids are in school and learning, and reduce malnutrition for millions of people around the world. R4D is a mission-driven organization with a clear strategy for creating mission-aligned programs. We have a long tradition of entrepreneurship and successful decentralized business development that has led to steady annual growth over our 14-year history. Our technically strong Program Leadership Group (comprised of 11 practice leads and 3 country directors) shares ownership of program creation and business development and has a culture of collaboratively developing opportunities. The BD Manager would support the continued success of this group by institutionalizing important BD processes and supporting the pipeline and key proposals developments.
The BD Manager will have business prior development experience and a track record of securing funding opportunities in international development and humanitarian aid with a particular focus on multilateral and bilateral donors (e.g. USAID, FCDO, UN, World Bank), foundation grants, and other funding opportunities.
This is an opportunity for an extremely talented, ambitious earlier career professional to step into a central leadership role at a fast-growing, mission-driven, innovative global development organization
- Monitor, scan and evaluate opportunities from various funding sites to find opportunities that align with R4D’s strategic goals and capabilities.
- Evaluate new opportunities and contribute to go/no-go decisions based on established criteria.
- Keep internal systems up-to-date including the BD pipeline & forecast with direction from the CFO.
- Develop, in collaboration with Program Leads, and maintain key funder account plans, and strategic partner information and resources accessible by R4D teams.
- Serve as proposal manager on key opportunities, ensuring efficient and timely process direction, production and submission.
- Prepare guidance documents for proposal development (e.g., calendar), as well as tools and templates in line with donor requirements and R4D practices.
- Facilitate and contribute to design session(s) and write sections of the proposal narrative and annexes, as appropriate.
- Ensure strong partnership approach in the design of programs and high engagement with Country Offices.
- Work with country teams and technical leads to identify key proposal consortium partners, facilitate partner outreach and engagement, and spearhead the execution of necessary teaming documents.
- Liaise with partners and consultants to coordinate timely and responsive proposal inputs.
- Provide compliance guidance and ongoing reviews throughout the life of proposal, based on the solicitation and other donor requirements.
- Contribute to continuous learning and strengthening business development systems, procedures and processes.
- Provide on-boarding and organizational-wide training to staff on R4D’s business development process to grow staff capabilities in this area.
- Develop and maintain BD library of resources including cataloging past proposals, developing cape statements, updating CV’s and other materials relevant to R4D’s proposal processes.
- Track lessons learned and ensure key proposal teams perform a post-mortem with highlights of success and improvements that can be shared across the organization.
- Participates fully as a member of R4D by contributing, assisting, and participating in activities, initiatives and other duties as requested by R4D management
- 5-8 years of experience working in business development, with at least 2 years in a manager role preferred.
- Hands-on experience in managing the development of successful proposals from capture through submission.
- Experience in proposal development for the global public health, education and/or nutrition humanitarian sectors, strongly preferred.
- Proven track record of securing funding opportunities in international development and humanitarian aid with various types of funding opportunities.
- Experience collaborating with and leading technical teams to develop program proposals funded by institutional donors.
- Knowledge of industry standards in business development.
- Outstanding attention to detail and accuracy — commitment to work product that is thorough, complete, grammatically correct and polished.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, with the ability to work quickly to produce time sensitive deliverables.
- Ability to work independently and to coordinate and collaborate with teams.
- Knowledge of and experience with key funder programming, policies and proposal requirements and best practices.
How to apply
Please click here to apply.
Closing date: 10/9/2022