International Organization for Migration
Position Title: Community Engagement Officer
Duty Station: Ferizaj, Kosovo (Ref: UNSC Res.1244 (1999))
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, Nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 11 October 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM), the United Nations (UN) Migration Agency, is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all and it does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people. As part of its activities in Kosovo, IOM assists in providing humanitarian assistance and protection-sensitive responses to migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator (Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM)), the Community Engagement Officer will ensure the overall implementation of community engagement activities in the camp.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the design and implementation of a site-specific community engagement strategy, in compliance with the protection mainstreaming strategy on Community Engagement, Accountability and Participation, under the support and the supervision of Programme Coordinator (Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM)).
- Closely collaborate with all on-site actors and coordinate in jointly addressing communities’ needs and in mobilizing the communities.
- Evaluate and work to address community information needs, provide comprehensive, timely and accurate information through accessible channels, in the relevant languages, and in a culturally sensitive way.
- Engage the site community in decision-making, through structured community meetings and other mechanisms that guarantee inclusion, participation, and representation.
- Facilitate access to effective feedback mechanisms (help desks, info boards, suggestion boxes, service and actor mapping, etc.) and check that beneficiaries’ feedback is followed by specific actions and is incorporated into meaningful and inclusive community engagement activities that promote resilience, self-reliance and accountability.
- Liaise with on-site and local actors, service providers, partners, and other stakeholders to participate in the design and implementation of joint activities, skills development workshops and training sessions, recreational events, etc., that promote the well-being, resilience, and empowerment of community members.
- Effectively support community-based volunteers to respond to site community’s needs, thus strengthening security and stability.
- Draft regular assessments, monitoring and progress reports, engaging visual presentations, gaps and risks analysis, and submit data in compliance with IOM Information Management Standards & Principles.
- Support the identification of persons with special needs or other vulnerable cases and refer to relevant stakeholders and share the information with the Programme Coordinator (Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM)) and Protection Coordinator.
- Always maintain a professional appearance and migrant friendly demeanor and sustain positive working relationship with IOM team, implementing partners and other stakeholders involved in camp management operations.
- Immediately inform the supervisors of any problems or issues related to the daily work and make suggestions on how to improve efficiency and client service
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Humanities, Social Sciences, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in emergency humanitarian operations and familiarity with the camp management technical guidelines, standards, and indicators.
- Experience in working in a multi-cultural environment;
- Experience in working with migrants/refugees including vulnerable groups;
- Experience in team coordination;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Proven organizational, facilitation, communication, and writing ability, as well as interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Ability to work in multicultural environments, showing cultural sensitivity and understanding.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, manage own time effectively, multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Ability to quickly adapt to job and organizational changes.
- Proven IT skills proficiency in MS Office.
- Excellent work ethics and have commitment to humanitarian principles.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Pashto and Dari is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE, via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 11 October 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2022 270 Community Engagement Officer (P2) Ferizaj, Kosovo (Ref: UNSC Res.1244
(1999)) (57779384) Released
Posting: Posting NC57779385 (57779385) Released
*Closing date: 11-Oct-22