Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development
Duration: start immediately, one year contract with possibility of renewal
Remuneration: a salary in local equivalent to US$ 1,200 per month
Duties and Responsibilities
FORUM-ASIA’s HRD Programme is a protection measure for human rights defenders (HRDs) and women human rights defenders (WHRDs) in Asia. It seeks to facilitate a conducive environment for HRDs/WHRDs towards a more effective and efficient conduct of their work while being conscious of the risks involving their actions. It also pursues provision of practical safeguards for HRDs/WHRDs at risk by reducing both actual and perceived threats stemming from their work and activities.
Reporting to the HRD Programme Manager, the Security Consultant will contribute in implementing strategy and action plan for the HRD Programme in line with FORUM-ASIA’s overall protection strategies.
Specifically, the Security Consultant shall:
- Programme Implementation
- Provide security advice and technical assistance to individual HRDs/WHRDs at risk from Myanmar.
- Support HRD Programme team members on the provision of emergency assistance to HRDs/WHRDs at risk from Myanmar.
- Provide security training or physical and/or digital security for civil society organisations and HRDs/WHRDs from Myanmar.
- Support FORUM-ASIA’s initiative related to security, including internal security policy.
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Participate in team evaluations and follow-ups, as well as self-evaluations;
- Document and track the security support provided to HRDs/WHRDs at risk from Myanmar.
- Other Tasks
- Implement other relevant tasks and activities as assigned by the HRD Programme Manager;
- Attend relevant internal and external meetings on human rights defenders’ security, and prepare minutes, as necessary.
- Mature personality with ability to work in a multicultural and demanding working environment with cross-programme coordination;
- Familiarity and sensitivity on Myanmar human rights defenders issues;
- High-level of self-motivated, positive attitude, strategic thinking, and multi-tasking ability; and
- Good team player.
- Minimum two years’ work experience in the field of security for human rights defenders and civil society organisations in Myanmar;
- Working experience with human rights defenders at risk, including experience of providing security assessment and advice;
- Ability to assess and address the security issues of human rights defenders at risk in Myanmar;
- Expertise on physical and/or digital security issues, including different tools and methodology to improve security of HRDs/WHRDs;
- Good knowledge of issues faced by human rights defenders in Myanmar; and
- Preferably, good understanding of the work and history of FORUM-ASIA or its member organisations.
- Candidates must have excellent command of English and Burmese. Knowledge of other local languages used in Myanmar is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to rapidly analyse and integrate diverse information from varied sources into a concise analysis; and
- Strong ability to harness and maintain good relations with various stakeholders such as FORUM-ASIA members, partners, and other relevant institutions and civil society organisation.
How to apply
Interested applicants must submit the following:
- A copy of your completed Application Form;
- A resume and a cover letter (Both in PDF file) explaining interest in the position.
Completed applications must be sent by email to FORUM-ASIA at [email protected] by 14 October 2022, midnight Bangkok Time (UTC +7), stating “Human Rights Defenders Security Consultant (Myanmar)” in the subject line. Please note that late applications will not be considered.
*Closing date: 14-Oct-22