The Organization and Role
About Access Now
Access Now is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our policy, advocacy, technology, and operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
Hosted by Access Now, RightsCon is the world’s leading summit on human rights in the digital age. It’s where the world’s human rights experts, business leaders, technologists, engineers, investors, activists, and government representatives come together to share ideas, build strategies, showcase new technologies, and create tomorrow’s internet. It is an energizing reminder of the existence of a powerful global digital rights movement that is determined to defend human rights and keep the internet open and free.
About this role
The Community Support Coordinator works within the RightsCon team to support the coordination and execution of the RightsCon Summit Series (rightscon.org), which will take shape through a hybrid format in 2023. Reporting to the Community Experience Manager, the Community Support Coordinator contributes to the successful implementation and management of RightsCon registration as well as community support initiatives aimed at increasing the accessibility and inclusion of the summit, including funding for connectivity and travel. In this role, the Community Support Coordinator also contribute to communications with participants and collaborate with other Access Now teams as necessary for the distribution of funding.
What you will do
Project management support and reporting
- Support the Community Experience Manager in managing ticket sales, including pulling reports and preparing invoices
- Conduct regular review of ticket discount requests and dashboard updates
- Conduct regular review of RightsCon registrants and tracker updates
- Monitor RightsCon inbox and respond to general participant inquiries
- Support the Community Experience Manager with implementing the community fund process, including the set up and management of the application form using OpenWater software
- Contribute to the review of community support applications and tracking of applicant information
- Provide ticket discounts to participants and create discount codes on the RightsCon platform
- Support the Community Experience Manager with the communications to community fund recipients from notifications on application status to processing issues
- Coordinate with Access Now’s finance team on funding distribution, troubleshooting and payment updates
- Support the Community Experience Manager with the visa support process, including research on visa support initiatives and the set up and management of a visa letter request form
- Alongside the Community Experience Manager and Program Coordinators, conduct a diversity audit review of the RightsCon program
- Support the implementation of data management practices, including migrating, cleaning, maintaining and organizing RightsCon shared drives
Skills, education, and mindset you will bring
- One to two years of event management, project coordination, or similar roles
- Experience with application processes
- Database management experience and a high comfort level working with spreadsheets.
- Highly organized with a strong attention to detail
- Familiarity with project management tools, like Trello
- Ability to work in fast-paced environments and effectively balance competing priorities
- Ability to travel internationally and domestically
- Interest or knowledge of relevant international human rights and technology policy issues
This is a 10-month contract position with preference for placement in North America or Latin America, in order to align time zones of meetings for the 2023 edition of RightsCon in San José, Costa Rica. The successful candidate must possess the right to work in the location in which they will be based. At this time most Access Now Team Members are working through hybrid office arrangements, combining remote at-home work with intermittent use of offices and/or co-working spaces.
Access Now offers competitive compensation and benefits packages that align competitively with locations and regions around the world. Location-specific examples of initial placement within the salary range for this role include:
- $4,190 CAD gross monthly (Canada)
- $3,750 USD gross monthly (Costa Rica)
- $5,200 USD gross monthly (United States)
Benefits for this specific role are tied to the location, and will vary. Regardless of location, all Team Members benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Work-life balance…including a generous paid time-off program between 36 and 40 days annually
- Access to supplemental health care insurance policies
- Professional development and growth opportunities
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Organizational resilience and support for all team members, including paid family leave and employee assistance programs
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Opportunities to recharge (including one month of paid refresher leave after 4 years)
How to apply
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents no later than October 31, 2022:
- Résumé/CV (removing all personally identifying information such as age, gender, marital status, address, and photo)
- Thoughtful cover letter outlining your suitability for our role, with particular attention to your experience aligning to the core functions
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our Career Openings page; email submissions are not accepted. Please note that if you are applying via a link in a 3rd party system (examples: Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn, Snaphunt, Zip Recruiter), be sure that you are going through the application link in BambooHR so that you are properly uploading a distinct Cover Letter and a separate CV/Resume.
In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity, and seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. We are interested in receiving applications from people who consider themselves as under-represented in their talent communities. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
Link to apply: https://accessnow.bamboohr.com/careers/152?source=aWQ9MjI%3D