The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration of two years. There are very good prospects for an extension. Employment location will be Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
As Country Director in Burkina Faso you are responsible for managing Welthungerhilfe’s impact-oriented country programme. In doing so, you take into consideration the overall Welthungerhilfe strategy and mandate and ensure adherence to Welthungerhilfe’s quality standards. This will require a professional and experienced approach towards structures and processes, strategic programming and human resources management. In addition, you will be responsible for the Country Strategy development and a sound financial management of allocated funds as well as for the acquisition of additional funding. As teamleader of the national and expatriate staff members, you are expected to take over responsibility for security management to assure the safety and security of your employees.
- Overall responsibility for the development and implementation of the multiannual country programme in Burkina Faso
- Represent Welthungerhilfe and coordinate programme activities with local decision-makers, partner organizations and other aid agencies and development organizations operating in the country
- Ensure efficient and reliable structures and processes that reflect decentralization and which allow to facilitate, coordinate and improve project implementation
- Ensure the proper planning of financial, asset and human resources as well as regular reporting to the Regional Directorate and the cofinanciers
- Acquisition of donor funds on location and international coordination with the Head Office
- Maintenance and expansion of cooperation with national and international partners
- Responsibility for expatriate and national project staff, and in particular responsibility for compliance with local security regulations
- Elaborate and ensure a preparedness plan for disasters and potential crises on the basis of the country specific situation
- Observe, analyze and report on relevant trends in the programme country and the neighboring areas
- Regular exchange of information with the Head Office in Bonn and other Country Offices
- A university or polytechnic degree in a relevant field like international development, international management, rural development, agricultural sciences or a comparable level of qualification
- At least 10 years of project management experience and relevant leadership experience in international humanitarian aid and development cooperation, preferably in the region
- Sound experience in security/crisis management and working with partner organizations
- Sound experience in Country strategy development
- Working experience in the Sahel region would be an advantage
- Relevant knowledge of German, European, American and UN donor environment
- Coordination and organisational skills – even under a high workload
- Excellent HR Management skills and ability to work in a multinational team
- Excellent communication skills and intercultural sensibility
- Readiness to receive necessary vaccinations for traveling to Welthungerhilfe programme countries
- Excellent spoken and written English and French
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits, which are listed under “Our benefits”.
How to apply
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by January 22, 2023 by following this link. Welthungerhilfe is committed to fighting terrorism in all its activities. Accordingly, any applicant who is offered employment will be screened against lists of known and suspected terrorists.
*Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.
Closing date: 22 Jan 2023