Norwegian Refugee Council
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We respect the dignity and protect the rights of displaced people at the local, national and international levels. We are specialized in the following six areas: food security, education, shelter, legal assistance, camp management, and water, sanitation, and hygiene. Today, we work in both new and protracted crises across 35 countries, and approximately 16,000 staff members are engaged by NRC around the world.
NRC Flüchtlingshilfe Deutschland (NRC FHD) was founded in Berlin in 2017 and represents NRC with relevant stakeholders in Germany including government representatives, institutional donors and NGOs.
Are you a bilingual (English & German) with a solid understanding of the German humanitarian environment, and have a background in partnerships and policy work? Are you a strategic leader that can help us develop NRC’s presence and position as part of the German humanitarian community?
What you will do
You will be responsible for leading NRC’s Representation Office in Germany. Priorities will include:
- Maintain and continue to build NRCs partnership with the German Federal Foreign Office.
- Further expand NRC’s partnerships and engagement with German development donors including KfW, GIZ and BMZ as a principled humanitarian organisation.
- Promote NRC’s humanitarian policy and advocacy priorities with German stakeholders, including on humanitarian financing.
The office is one of the units in NRC’s Partnerships and Policy Department (PnP) which is responsible for the following:
- NRC’s strategic relations with institutional donors and private foundations;
- The organisation’s global advocacy and policy work;
- Partnerships with UN agencies and INGOs.
Specific tasks will include:
- Management of the office including human and financial resource management.
- Effective coordination with other parts of NRC, including Country Offices, Regional Offices, Head Office departments, and other Representation Offices.
- Contribution to strategy and budget processes and reporting as required.
- Contribute to the positioning of NRC as a leading voice in the humanitarian community in Germany, including through representation, speaking at public events and engaging with the media, preparing briefings, speeches, letters and other written materials for internal and external use as required.
- Providing expertise on German donors /partners, including analyses of donor policies and priorities, funding mechanisms, etc.
- Ensuring the availability of help-desk support and capacity building for NRC staff worldwide on German donors linked to fund raising, donor rules and regulations, etc.
- Networking and advocacy for improved financing conditions with German donors.
- Liaising with other NRC units on donor-related issues, such as funding gaps in country programmes.
- Contributing to NRC’s advocacy work in line with global priorities and reactive advocacy on new crises and opportunities.
- Maintaining expertise in humanitarian policy and debates and keeping relevant parts of NRC informed.
- Advising, facilitating and supporting NRC staff in their engagement with stakeholders under the responsibility of the Representation Office.
- Appropriate and efficient hosting arrangements for staff who are formally part of other NRC units.
What you will bring
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible professional experience with at least 5 years of relevant senior management experience within the humanitarian or development field.
- Outstanding communication, representation, and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to develop and implement solid institutional and organisational strategies.
- Professional knowledge of humanitarian policy and principles.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities, for example, people and team management, budget responsibility, high-level representation, and strategic planning.
- Fluency in German and English, both written and verbal.
We know that you are curious and would like to learn more about this role; please click here to access the full Job Description.
What makes this position attractive?
- Key leadership position in a frontline humanitarian organisation with global reach.
- A challenging and exciting opportunity with an international team dedicated to advocating for the rights of people forced to flee.
- A chance to further expand NRC’s engagement with German stakeholders.
- Salary and benefits according to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions in Germany.
We are also looking for people who share our values:
- To be dedicated to what we do;
- To be innovative with our solutions;
- To act as one unified and inclusive team;
- To be accountable to the donors that make our work possible; the beneficiaries that we exist to serve; and to each other… the members of our NRC family.
We will be assessing candidates on an ongoing basis; therefore, early applications are encouraged.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across more than 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks.
NRC is an equal opportunities employer and aims to have staffing diversity in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, nationality and physical ability.
How to apply
Click HERE to complete your application.