Center for Operational Analysis and Research
Scope of Work
Position Title: Director of Support Operations
Reference Number: 221102
Starting Date: 1 December 2022
Located in: Bangkok, Thailand or Limassol, Cyprus (with travel)
Contract type: open-ended
Reporting to: Managing Director
Supervision of staff: Finance Team Leader, Accounting Manager, Operations Manager, IT Manager, Business Development, and Legal/Compliance.
Objective: The Director of Support Operations oversees all of COAR’s support team, based between Limassol, Cyprus and Bangkok, Thailand, and will be responsible for the smooth of COAR day-to-day operations across multiple country offices and across projects. The Director of Support Operations will ensure that projects are sufficiently staffed, will assist in establishing new country programs and offices, will be a Bank signatory, and will oversee COAR’s accounting and financial management, to include ensuring compliance with local laws and regulations, and taxation. The Director of Support Operations will also be expected to draft policy where absent, update where no longer relevant, and implement.
About COAR: COAR is an independent social enterprise that directly supports practitioners, policy-makers, and donors by facilitating humanitarian and development interventions in complex, fragile, and high-risk environments.
Main Activities and Responsibilities:
- Promote an inclusive, professional and friendly working;
- Work with Project Managers and Country Directors to identify needs and oversee timely recruitment of consultants and staff members;
- Oversee COAR’s HR policy and ensure recruitments are in accordance with internal policies;
Finance, Contracts and Accounting:
- Directly manage COAR’s Accounting Manager and Accountant to ensure smooth functioning of COAR’s accounting systems and requirements;
- Oversee and ensure accurate budgeting, at the corporate, country, project, and proposal level;
- Ensure Project Managers and Country Directors have up-to-date actuals and visibility on spending;
- Understand client eligibility criteria and compliance, and oversee/advise on allocations to ensure compliance;
- Oversee Legal advisor and ensure internal review of new contracts before signature;
- Act as bank signatory on all COAR accounts
Administration and Operations:
- Oversee external service providers, suppliers, and vendors.;
- Ensure compliance with local labour and tax laws, as well as other regulations, with support from Legal, Finance, and Accounting teams;
- Act as focal point and maintain relationships/agreements with external suppliers, service providers, and vendors;
- Ensure company compliance with government contracting regulations and guidance (contract specific for UK, EU, US, etc.), and maintain oversight of related registrations (e.g., NCAGE, DUNS, SAMS, etc.)
- Oversee policies and processes related to Operations, with an emphasis on procurements and asset management;
- Oversee policy and processes related to IT Management, digital resources and licences, and cybersecurity;
- Oversee tracking of new business opportunities and proposal development;
- Oversee product finalisation team (graphic design, website maintenance/mounting, and editors);
- Support in establishment of new country programs and inception of projects, when necessary;
- Advanced University degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or significant field experience (to include military service);
- Minimum 12 years experience, ideally with international for-profit companies, with increasing responsibility;
- Experience within the humanitarian and development sector implementing donor-funded programs (i.e. European Union, UN, USAID, etc.);
Skills and Competencies:
- Proficiency in MS Office program suites.
- Ability to work with others under tight deadlines and respond to changes in priorities;
- Willingness to work across time zones and undertake frequent travel;
- Native or near-native English proficiency. Additional languages beneficial;
How to apply
Applicants should submit their CV and Cover Letter to [email protected] quoting the name of the position and Reference Number in the subject line of the email.
Due to a high volume of received applications, only successful candidates will be contacted.
All applications will be treated in strict confidentiality.