Médecins Sans Frontières
Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders), an international medical humanitarian association founded in 1971, provides medical assistance to populations whose lives are threatened: mainly in cases of armed conflict, but also epidemics, pandemics, natural disasters, or exclusion from care.
MSF WACA (West and Central Africa) was created in 2019 and aims to bring about a change in the dynamics of the MSF movement. WACA is driven by a significant number of doctors and humanitarians of Doctors Without Borders from West and Central Africa who wish to be heard, to contribute and above all to proactively assume responsibility for the humanitarian mission of the organization. WACA reflects an identity of humanitarians, an aspiration for MSF, a truly inclusive movement of people who share the values of empathy for others. Its strength is based on other MSF associations and its associative fiber is amplified by concrete operational objectives.
Why join us?
You will find yourself a rich multicultural environment embellished with many relaxation areas to exchange or just create. The opportunity to test and learn. Every idea is welcome, your comments and opinions will be appreciated at all levels of the organization. The chance to be a key player in a growing and highly qualified team. And most importantly, great colleagues in a healthy work environment… (yes, yes…)
We are looking for:EMERGENCY MEDICAL COORDINATOR
Direct Manager: Emergency Coordinator
Number of Team members to manage:
Direct : Field Medical Teams
Working %: 100%
Position based in: Field
Type of contract: Fixed Term Renewable
Duration**:** One year
Position to be filled on: As soon as possible
To fulfill its mission of assistance to victims of conflicts, epidemics or natural disasters, MSF-WaCA is about to set up an emergency pool, of which members are experienced individuals capable of evaluating a situation, launching and coordinating medical activities. The position of emergency medical coordinator (medical or para-medical) reports to the Emergency Coordinator in the field during emergency response.
The candidate is expected to:
1) work in all contexts set by the Operations Department
2) have the flexibility to work in different positions including Medical Referent Project, Project Coordinator (Depending on the profile)
3) work in emergency contexts with and fill gaps in regular projects if need be.
- Implementation and participation in exploratory missions and evaluations, on the request of Operation Department.
- Definition, implementation (or modification) of the medical strategy of an emergency intervention.
- Identification and management of the means necessary for the implementation of an emergency intervention.
- Coordination and supervision of medical teams in the field
- Specific Reports on the interventions.
- According to the decision taken by headquarters, the Emergency Medical Coordinator (medical / paramedical profile) can be asked to coordinate an activity, which is under the responsibility of a Medical Coordinator in the country where WaCA is already active.
- The Emergency Medical Coordinator (medical /paramedical profile) can be asked to intervene within the framework of certain MSF trainings and to take part in international meetings.
All countries where the MSF WaCA opens activities, which require an urgent response. On call, the emergency medical coordinator should be available within 48 hours for rapid and short interventions. He/she is part of a core group of medicals, para-medicals, and support staff responsible for responding to:
- Exploratory missions
- Epidemic outbreaks
- Nutritional crises
- Displaced populations and/or refugees’ camps
- Surgical emergencies
- Natural disaster
Education / Qualification / Pre-requisites
- Medical or Para-Medical University dgree,
Competencies / Skills
- The post is open to a person with a medical or para-medical profile
- Capacity to bring patient and public health at the chore of the operation strategy.
- · Specific knowledge desired :
- Emergency public health
- Response to epidemics
- Emergency vaccinations
- Response to severely malnourished populations
- Method of investigation, epidemiological monitoring
- Significant experience in general coordination (profile Medical Coordinator, Project Coordinator, Project Medical Referent…)
- Expertise in analyses of unstable context / crises situations
- Capacity to quickly evaluate an emergency on ground and to propose an appropriate strategy of intervention
- General knowledge of MSF in emergency management
- Fluency in French and English is essential, knowledge of local languages in the region is an added value
- Knowledge of information and communication equipment used by MSF.
- Leadership & capacity to make priorities
- Capacity of analysis of Context & program
- Capacity for coordination and organization.
- Diplomacy, broadminded spirit.
- Availability, Flexibility and mobility.
- Capacity to negotiate and make decisions
- PSP training.
Professional experience required
- Expatriates with 24 months of field experience with MSF in a coordination role, who have had at least one mission in an emergency context with other MSF Sections.
- Field-based contract for one year, renewable.
- Per-diem on the field at the time of interventions
- Salary according to MSF experience
- Duration of the direct interventions on the field: from 4 weeks to 3 months (certain flexibility is asked in the event of needs).
- Other benefits according to the organization policies.
- English (excellent)
- French (excellent)
- Good Knowledge of Microsoft Office Package
In a dynamic work environment, MSF offers equal recruitment and development opportunities without any form of discrimination based on gender, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity, geographical origin, profile, physical disability or any other discriminatory ground.
Female candidates who meet the requirements are strongly encouraged to apply.
N.B.:This job description provides a framework for the main responsibilities and primary activities of the position. It is not exhaustive. Therefore, the responsibilities and activities of the position may differ from those described in this job description due to organizational and operational needs.
Deadline: 24/10/2022 at 18:00 GMT Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
How to apply
Kindly Apply via this link: EMERGENCY MEDICAL COORDINATOR (recruitee.com)