Duty Station: Lviv – Ukraine, possible move toward Kyiv
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Duration of Contract: One year with possible extension
Reporting Lines/Line Management: Finance Manager
The purpose of the Finance Coordinator position is to maintain proper accounting records in compliance with the financial policies and procedures of CARE as well as Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAPs).
She/he ensures excellence in providing accounts payable and disbursement services to Care Ukraine. She/he prepares accurate and timely financial summaries, reports and controls bank account balances, cash holding to optimal balance to avoid any liquidity issues. She/he is responsible for accounting records in the general ledger, accounts payable module and accounts receivable module. Also ensures regular accounting reconciliations, including sub-ledgers, are completed in all modules as necessary.
Responsible for coordinating audits and timely completion with follow-ups with department staff.
The Finance Coordinator supervises the partnership operations, ensuring the accuracy of partner expenses recorded in the system with regular reconciliations.
In addition, the Finance Coordinator assists the Finance Manager in the Finance Department’s planning, budgeting, staffing organization and development and helps in prioritising Finance department activities. The Finance Coordinator conducts annual and midyear appraisals for assigned staff. Provides guidance and mentoring to assigned Finance staff and assists the Finance Manager to achieve the targets of the Finance Department in a timely and efficient manner. Initiates and encourage inter-section information sharing and cooperation.
She/he will be the acting Finance Manager in the absence of current Finance Manager.
- Accounting and Cashflow Management
- Provides oversight to day to day operations through developing efficient process flows and controls over Accounts Payable, Cash Transfers and other journal entries.
- Ensures accounting entries/expenditures are justified and substantiated.
- Coordinates cash flow management in the Country Office, prepares the monthly cash forecast with inputs from Program Managers and Support Department Managers for final review and submission to Care Germany.
- Ensures compliance with Care Ukraine accounts payable and cash disbursement policies; Ensures cash and bank accounts are reconciled in a timely manner.
- Coordinates Care Ukraine Sub-Ledger accounts, including Payables and Accruals to ensure that the accounts are being liquidated in a timely and accurate manner on a monthly basis.
- Ensures monthly closings are done in a timely manner making sure accounting staff are able to achieve monthly closing deadlines.
- Coordinates the preparation of monthly reports to be submitted to Care Germany through the Finance Manager after month end closure.
- Highlights any technical/operational challenges accounting staff are facing, escalating them to Finance Manager for solutions.
- Budgeting and Proposal development
- Assists the Finance Manager in developing the Master Budget for Care Ukraine and making sure all necessary cost categories for personnel and the operation are verified with relevant parties, requiring coordination with the HR, Program and Administration Departments.
- Coordinates new cost proposal development processes with respective Program Managers by developing budgets in accordance with donor regulations, agreement guidelines, Care’s budgeting guidelines and Care Ukraine’s Master budget requirements.
- Works closely with program teams to make sure their inputs are properly captured in new budgets. Ensures proposal budgets/budget amendments are in line with donor regulations.
- Recommends and facilitates opportunities to help build staff capacity (especially program) in budget formulation/management.
- Internal and External Audits
- Provides cooperation and participates in audit related meetings to ensure that required supporting documentation/explanations are provided to auditors in a timely manner.
- Provides background information and any documentation related to audit queries and findings to the Finance Manager.
- Keeps track of the audit findings and recommendations, developing an action plan with the Finance Manager to avoid repetition of audit findings.
- Makes sure that action plan of improving controls is met and coordinates with the Finance Team to implement.
- Staff management
- Reviews periodic staff extension requests/staff recruitment requests, making sure the positions are financed through the available budgets for the Finance Manager’s approval.
- Reviews and updates the Authorized Signatory List/Forms on quarterly basis, based on each position’s authority thresholds. Prepares new Authorized Signatory Form for newly assigned positions.
- Acts as the Focal Point in linking local staff and the Finance Manager for operational issues.
- In coordination with the Finance Manager is responsible for recruitment, performance management, coaching and mentoring, Staff development and talent management of direct supervisees.
- Demonstrated capacity to set high standards of performance for self and/or others
- Strong analytical and adaptive capacity to bring together multiple moving pieces to achieve certain desired results
- Detail oriented
- The ability to multitask
- Knows how to collaborate and build commitment
- Capacity to mentor and coach staff
- High stress tolerance and ability to work under pressure
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or combination of education and work experience.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in related field
- High level of expertise in using Microsoft Word & Excel
- Hands-on experience in using accounting/financial software
- Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills both in English and Ukrainian
- Well organized and ability to act in a professional and ethical manner
- Proactive in problem solving, initiating actions and making operational decisions
- Demonstrated interest in gender equality, participatory approaches and sustainable development.
- Masters Degree in related subject
- Development oriented NGO experience
Working & Living Conditions
Main duty station will be the office in Lviv in the Western region of Ukraine with possibility of moving this office to Kviv. Travel to other Care Ukraine Offices as and when required.
CARE International (CARE) is a non-religious, non-political international development and humanitarian organization, dedicated to fighting global poverty. CARE works in around 95 countries globally, engaging diverse partnerships to support communities to overcome poverty through development projects and delivers humanitarian assistance. CARE programmes address social injustice whilst placing women and girls at the core of programming in order to create sustainable positive change in poor communities. CARE is an equal opportunity employer irrespective of nationality, religion, ethnicity, caste or gender.
CARE is currently establishing its presence in Ukraine to provide relief and development assistance to vulnerable populations affected by conflict. The core sectors of CARE Ukraine’s work encompass WASH, Sexual Reproductive and Maternal Health services, Livelihoods and multipurpose cash assistance and interventions to assist vulnerable households to meet basic needs and to increase their social-economic resilience. The Country Office continues re-orienting its programming to strengthen mainstreaming of gender and protection (GBV, Child Safeguarding, Disability Inclusion, etc.) with a focus on the empowerment of women and girls in all diversities, recognizing the disproportionate effect disasters have upon their lives.
Accountability within CARE
A commitment to CARE values and CARE’s integrity framework is critical to working with CARE. Any candidate offered a job with CARE will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with CARE’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a CARE staff or partner.
Children and vulnerable adults who come into contact with CARE as a result of CARE’s activities must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that CARE shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
CARE Ukraine is committed to meeting the standards of the CARE International Gender Policy (2019). Through this policy, CARE seeks to promote the equal realization of dignity and human rights for girls, women, boys and men in all diversities, and the elimination of poverty and injustice. Specifically, this policy seeks to improve the explicit incorporation of gender in programmatic and organizational practices.
How to apply
Please send your complete application package (CV, motivation letter) only in English to Jo Fox [email protected] no later than 7 October 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing date: 7-Oct-22