Desired start date: 15 /11/2022
Duration of the mission: 6 months, with possible extension
ABOUT THE MISSION…
Mission: There are 3 implementing offices in Syria (2 in North East Syria/NES, 1 in North West Syria/NWS) with the coordination based in Amman. The total financial volume of the mission for 2020 was approximately of 26 million EUR. The mission has now reached a number of approximately 45 expatriates and 250 national employees (7 expatriates and 90 national employees in Ar-Raqqa base).
Type and content of program: Syria mission is dedicated to work in areas recently opened (in 2017 in Raqqa) and in challenging contexts to provide lifesaving activities to the population affected by the conflict. A turn from lifesaving activities to more post-emergency/development has also been undertaken. In Ar-Raqqa Governorate, main current activities are related for example to WaSH, FSL, Rehabilitation (infrastructures, schools, water systems), NFI and distributions, :COVID and Cholera Response.
Additionally, SI has a contingency and capacity to respond to emergencies in all NES.
During 2020, Raqqa base has also extended its activities in Tabqa (southeastern part of the Governorate), and in Kobane (northern NES).
ABOUT THE JOB
- Supervise HR team and activities
- Supervise all recruitment stages
- Contribute to the good comprehension of all staff to HR policies.
- Promote and follow up on capacity building for all staff
- Supervise Finance team and activities
- Update financial tools (Allocation Board and Budget Follow-Up)
- Participate to budget design for new proposals
- Provide solutions and advice on budget management
The main challenges:
- Important volume of work due to the number of staff and the current budgets
- Challenging environment of intervention with security constraints and particular dynamics
- Importance of capacity building and difficulties to find accessible high standards
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- Advance the discussion and implementation of the capacity building strategy, allocating the available budget for as many staff as possible while keeping high standards to challenge the high competencies already present on the base;
- Get rapidly familiar with the context, understanding the cultural layers to better support the staff;
- Organise an ‘SI day’ for the first half of the year and overall contribute to a positive working environment on a regular base.
Responsibilities and main activities:
HR management for national staff
- Supervise all recruitment processes and integration and induction of all new employees
- Keep informed of all bills and changes associated with employment law, employment in general, and staff training.
- Improve staff working conditions in close collaboration with the administrative coordinator
- Collect the necessary information for monitoring changes in the cost of living.
- Supervise the monthly payroll and verify the base’s salary databases and payroll processing (Balzac XX)
- Check the update at base level of the HR linked information through Homère software
- Supervise the update of all HR-related documents at mission level and filing at coordination level
- Monitor adhesion to national HR policy at mission level
- Update staff records and follow up HR deadlines
- Consolidate and update the mission organization chart
- Supervise annual performance review deadlines, contract dates…
- Participate in creating an annual mission training plan, supervise its implementation and measure its impact
- Participate in the review of the mission HR policy
- Check that job descriptions fit the standard job matrix and ensure that the recruitment process is respected
- Supervise the taxation process
- Define the needs of administrative personnel at his/her base, and recruit according to the resources allocated
- Train, support and evaluate the administrative team at his/her assignment base
- Plan and direct the activities of the administrative team
- Lead meetings for the administrative team
- Manage his/her base’s cash-flow and ensure that banks and cash boxes are well supplied
- Manage transfers and monitor the security of funds
- Formulate cash-flow forecasts with the Supply Manager
- Supervise the upkeep and security of safes and cash-boxes
- Validate all disbursements and commitments of expenditure, in compliance with Solidarités International procedures
- Supervise account keeping at his/her base, monitor cash balances
- Monitor bank books for his/her base and keep the safe
- Prepare and supervise the monthly closing, review and integration of the accounting for his/her base
- Verify the accounting files before they are sent to coordination.
Budgetary / financial monitoring:
- Update allocation boards for his/her base
- Update and analyze budget follow up in conjunction with logistic and program teams
- Make connections between budgetary consumption and activity progress
- Propose solutions if necessary
- Monitor functioning costs at his/her assignment base
- Oversee adherence to donor administrative procedures
- Aid the administrative coordinator in formulating financial reports and carrying out audits
- Assist in formulating budgets for new projects
Administrative management of the mission
- Verify and validate all contracts drafted at the base
- Assist in selecting Solidarités International premises
- Ensure administrative monitoring of insurance locations, claims and contracts
- Establish and maintain relationships with local and regional administrative authorities, monitor regulations in force
- Take part in meetings relating to administrative aspects, represent Solidarités International on request and/or by order
- Supervise the sending of administrative files to the coordination
- Ensure administrative and financial reports are made to the coordination according to the Solidarités administrative calendar
Specific skills and experience:
- Minimum 2 years with INGO in a similar role
- Previous experience with SI being a plus
- Experience in HR management
- Experience in a field base is desirable, in a volatile security context highly appreciated
- Excellent communication and drafting skills for effective reporting in English
- Strong computer skills essential (Excel)
- Autonomous, organised, ability to prioritise and to work under pressure
- Ability to organize training and lead meetings
- Good Knowledge on SAGA and HOMERE software are a plus
- High respect/compliance of security rules
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to cultural habits
- Adaptability towards changing work environment and possible volatile security situation
- Stress management skills: ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, with possible peaks of heavy workloads
- Team player, capacity to create and keep positive dynamics and ability to listen and engage with people
- Problem solving capacities
- Acceptance towards being challenged by skilled national staff
- Fluent English (written, spoken and read) is mandatory
Current set up of the Raqqa Admin Team (8 staff): 2 deputies, 2 officers, 4 cleaners/cooks.
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post:
According to experience, starting from 1980 euros gross per month (1800 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem of 700 USD
SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of on 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3/6 and 9 month.
To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of 1 additional rest day per month worked > i.e. 12 days in addition for a 1-year contract.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Security level is high in NES justifying specific arrangements in terms of rules and movements in the areas of intervention.
The candidate will be based in Raqqa. She/He will live in the SI guesthouse(s). In Raqqa, living conditions are simple but highly improved with a few opportunities and places to socialize.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
How to apply
Closing date: 20-Oct-22