International Rescue Committee
The IRC in New Jersey seeks a Financial Coach to support its Financial Capabilities program for refugees and other immigrants. The Financial Capabilities program focuses on engaging and motivating clients, providing a strong understanding of personal finances, and developing the ability to teach that knowledge to others. The Financial Coach is responsible for helping clients in developing plans that help them reach their goals and achieve financial stability. The Financial Coach is expected to focus services in a one-on-one counseling format, while also conducting classes and workshops on topics such as budgeting, credit building, banking, and financial products. The Financial Coach will work with the IRC in NJ’s Economic Empowerment department to ensure that clients are receiving financial education and assistance across these service areas. Additionally, the Financial Coach will coordinate with external partners in offering financial capabilities services, including tax preparation services, and will also assist clients in completing applications for targeted loan products including credit-building, personal, education, immigration, and auto loans.
This is a limited term position with an end date of September 30, 2023. Availability of grant funding will determine future continuation of this role.
- One on one financial counseling and coaching
· Develop plans of action and provide tools, resources, and promote accountability to clients to help them meet their goals
· Assist clients in assessing and resolving current financial challenges, while providing a wide lens on
their financial health to shift the approach to proactive financial management
· Work with clients to complete a detailed financial assessment
· Develop a budget and provide strategies for budget improvements
· Assess clients’ financial history and provide strategies for credit building and increasing net assets
· Understand and collaborate with colleagues providing other services offered by the IRC, such as employment, career development, case management, and education services
· Coordinate with Volunteer Income Tax Assistance service and team
2. Workshop and training delivery
· Develop workshop materials or tailor existing materials to meet the needs of the community. Workshop topics should be relevant to the community, and may include topics such as: budgeting,
savings, banking products, credit building, and identity theft.
· Schedule and deliver workshops and trainings
· Collaborates with partners to expand financial literacy support to community members
3. Consumer lending
· Administer credit-building consumer loan program and ensure applications have been compiled and submitted in a timely manner.
· Provide thorough underwriting for loans.
· Record outcomes within ETO database and satisfy related reporting requirements in alignment with funder objectives.
- Outcome tracking
· Use Efforts to Outcome (ETO), client management system, to document and reflect client outcomes
accurately and in a timely manner.
· Other duties as assigned.
· At least 1 year of related professional experience in working with vulnerable populations
· Experience in developing curriculum and instructing coursework for English Language Learners
· Knowledge of financial services and/or public benefits systems preferred
· Experience in a non-profit setting and prior experience working in financial coaching services a plus
· Experience working in a diverse, and non-traditional setting with diverse client base
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
· Self- starter with excellent problem-solving skills combined with the proven ability to multi-task, prioritize duties, and manage time effectively.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills and an overall ability to be clear and concise
· Exceptional organizational skills with proven attention to detail.
· Demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
· Proven ability to contribute both independently and as a key team member.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook)
· Ability to travel regularly throughout New Jersey
· Fluent in English, both spoken and written; bilingual ability preferred, preferably in Spanish, French, Arabic, Dari/Farsi and/or Pashto.
Preferred experience & skills:
- Ability to work both independently and in a dynamic, cross-functional team structure
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to manage and work through change in a proactive and positive manner.
*Working Environment:***Standard office work environment, along with some field work, including local travel to employers, client homes and other community-based partners.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days (depending on role and tenure), medical insurance starting at $145 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare, childcare, and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with up to 4.5% immediately vested matching contribution, plus a 3-7% base IRC contribution (3 year vesting), disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.
Posted pay ranges apply to US-based candidates. Ranges are based on various factors including the labor market, job type, internal equity, and budget. Exact offers are calibrated by work location, individual candidate experience and skills relative to the defined job requirements.
How to apply
Please apply on our website: