Fenix Humanitarian Legal Aid
Fenix – Humanitarian Legal Aid is a US non profit organization and Greek MKO, federally registered with Greece’s Ministry of Migration and Asylum. We are currently seeking a Greek Licensed Attorney to immediately join our team in Lesvos.
Our team of international and Greek lawyers, protection officers, legal assistants and translators provides legal aid and protection services to refugees and asylum seekers in Lesvos and Athens.
We are looking for an independent, adaptable and responsible individual who is willing to work in a very demanding and dynamic work environment. Our clients need great advocates who demonstrate compassion, patience, hard work and empathy in extremely trying circumstances. As we work towards our vision of ‘a just and equitable European asylum system, which treats individuals with respect and upholds their dignity’, we are committed to doing so while ensuring the highest ethical standards of conduct and creating a safe working environment free of harassment and discrimination.
- Provide legal representation before the Greek Asylum Service, European Asylum Support Office, Appeals Committee and Administrative and Judicial Courts.
- Support Fenix international lawyers and protection officers through regular engagement with legal advice and case assistance.
- Participate in Working Groups, Inter-Agency meetings, and support efforts of local advocacy and information-sharing with actors through meetings and referrals.
- Stay up to date on rapidly changing asylum laws and policies.
- Maintain records in compliance with reporting requirements of any and all grants or agreements
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Must comply with the values and principles outlined in the Fenix code of conduct and Policies.
All Fenix team members must comply with the values and principles outlined in the Fenix code of conduct and Policies.
- Greek licensed lawyer
- Oral and written English fluency
- A minimum of 3 years of experience working with immigration and refugee law. Experience with detention and border procedures is a great asset
- Strong case management, legal research, and legal writing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including communication skills and a proactive positive attitude
- Ability to work with clients of a range of backgrounds, with sensitivity to culture, trauma history, age and other vulnerabilities
- Ability to work both independently and in a group setting, and meet deadlines in a fast paced dynamic environment.
- Passion for human rights and social justice
- Ability to work in an emergency setting and under pressure.
- 12 month contract, full time position based in Mytilene, Lesvos. Possibility to extend, subject to funding.
- Competitive salary
- Start date: immediate
How to apply
Please apply through the general application form on our website at https://www.fenixaid.org/job-openings/greek-lawyer-lesvos-2, click on “Apply” at the bottom of the page and select the position “Field Greek Lawyer”.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and references and background checks will be requested before extending an offer.
For questions, please contact [email protected]