Caritas Austria supports development and humanitarian work within the framework of long-standing partnerships with ecclesiastical and civil society organizations in defined partner regions. Caritas supports them in their work and helps to find ways out of poverty for disadvantaged people and enables them to live in dignity. The international work of Caritas Austria focuses on the three thematic priorities: “Future without hunger” and “Future for children and young people” and “Humanitarian Aid”.
Scope of duties:
Caritas Austria has been supporting programs of partner organizations in South Sudan since 2011. In 2016 Caritas Austria has been registered as an international organization in South Sudan and established the Caritas Austria South Sudan Office in Yambio with a team of 6 staff. The Head of Office leads the programme in South Sudan and manages the Caritas Austria South Sudan Office.
Your main tasks are:
- Provide leadership and direction in the strategic development and implementation of development and humanitarian programs at country level, in line with Caritas Austria’s strategic objectives, and strategies. Implementation and annual reporting on the Caritas Austria country strategy for South Sudan.
Program development with partner organisations
- Support of Caritas Austria partner organizations in the development, implementation and reporting of effective and efficient projects and programs.
- Oversee capacity-strengthening processes of implementing partners and promotion of knowledge transfer/synergy effects for improved program implementation and impact.
- Assessment and establishment of strong partnerships with potential new partner organisations
- Ensure that effective output and outcome-based M&E systems are implemented in line with Caritas Austria strategic indicators
- Ensure that internal and external audits are fulfilled in a timely and efficient manner, in line with Caritas Austria policies and back donor and host government requirements.
- Constant dialogue with institutional donors in South Sudan and access and manage Institutional Funding (in collaboration with the Caritas Austria Institutional Partnership department)
Management of the Caritas Austria Office South Sudan
- Management of the office in Yambio: admin, finance, HR management, security management, training and coaching etc.;
- Act as prime spokesperson for Caritas Austria in country with all external stakeholders. Represent Caritas Austria with the South Sudan government, national NGO and INGO networks, the Catholic Church and its agencies, donors and other key strategic stakeholders.
- Networking and collaboration with relevant stakeholders in South Sudan
- Communication: provide information for Caritas Austria communication and fundraising, facilitate internal and external visitors, carry out media interviews upon request by the Communications Department.
- Regular reporting to Headquarters (Head of Program Unit Africa) and direct communication with programme manager for South Sudan
- Ongoing proactive cooperation with other Caritas Austria teams on programme quality and learning; policy & advocacy; fundraising and management of institutional funding
You bring along:
- University degree in a relevant subject area
- At least five years of relevant work experience in development or humanitarian aid
- At least three years of experience in a leadership and senior management position position
- Demonstrable experience in running a country office (admin, finance, HR management, security management etc.);
- Significant demonstrable experience in the management of development and humanitarian programs of substantial scale.
- In-depth understanding of programming in a partnership model, working in a partnership-based NGO.
- Demonstrable experience or knowledge of one or more of the following sectors: food security & climate change, education; income generation, humanitarian aid, peace building, civil society strengthening
- Demonstrable experience of promoting gender equity through programming and within an international organization.
- Demonstrable experience of working to attract institutional donor funding and of managing large and complex donor grants.
- Solid experience of managing teams in a multi-cultural environment and playing a leadership role in ensuring cohesiveness, inclusion and development of staff at all levels.
- Availability to spend at least 8 months of in-country presence/ year
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to motivate staff to align behind a shared vision and objectives.
- Ability to coach and help others develop in their professional lives.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills and demonstrated ability in using these with internal stakeholders and external stakeholders, especially with partner organizations.
- High commitment to promote innovation Understanding of, and empathy with, the role of the Catholic Church in development
- Demonstrated ability to manage budgets and financial systems on a significant scale, in development and humanitarian contexts.
- Demonstrated ability to manage security in challenging environments.
- Highly organized, with excellent planning, prioritisation, and problem-solving skills.
- Competent in Microsoft packages
- Fluency (written and spoken) in English,
- Fluent German is an additional asset
- A full valid driving licence
How to apply
- You have the option of choosing between 37 and 38 hours per week as a full-time position.
- Salary depending on education and work experience for 37 hours per week between € 2,637.80 and € 3,031.40 gross; in case of family allowance € 61.85 gross per child; plus foreign allowance € 262.19 gross
- At 38 hours per week, the gross monthly salary is 2.7 % higher than at 37 hours per week.
- A delegate supplement
- Per diems when in South Sudan
- Accomodation when in South Sudan
- Further education and training opportunities
- Three additional days off
- Two additional days of holiday from the second year of holiday (based on a 5-day week)
Please send your CV and motivation letter in English as well as copies of relevant certificates and recommendation letters. Applications will be treated confidential.
We look forward to receiving your application!