International Rescue Committee
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) helps people affected by humanitarian crises to survive, recover and gain control of their lives. Founded at the call of physicist, humanitarian—and refugee—Albert Einstein in 1933, the IRC is now at work in over 50 crisis-affected countries, over 40 US cities, as well as communities throughout Europe and the Americas. We deliver lasting impact by providing health care, helping children learn, and empowering individuals and communities to become self-reliant, always seeking to address the inequalities facing women and girls.
In 2021 the IRC and partners reached over 31.5 million people in countries affected by crisis. We are committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and, most crucially, accountability to those we serve. The IRC is a tireless advocate for the most vulnerable.
Are you passionate about IRC’s mission, making a positive impact and cultivating peoples work lives? Interested in a career as a HR professional? Then join us! This position will serve as HR Trainee for our Global Headquarters, based in New York City or remotely within the US.
In this role, the HR Trainee will assist the Global Headquarters Human Resources team with supporting the External Relations (ER) department in implementing the ER People Strategy. You will have unparalleled exposure to everyday HR scenarios, projects, and communications to gain understanding of HR strategy and functions in a global organization. Bringing in a client-service approach, this role will collaborate with fellow team members to learn about and streamline processes to improve the HR capabilities for the team. You not only play a part in delivering HR content and analysis, but also participate in a positive and inspiring global culture in which gender equality, diversity, and inclusion are reflected in the application of HR policy and practice and throughout every aspect of the employee experience at IRC.
We are looking for someone interested in joining a fast-paced global organization, enjoys working with people from different cultures, and is inspired by knowing they are helping people achieve our humanitarian mission! Our work is fluid and can shift quickly, but those who enjoy this type of role are creative problem solvers that can use their unique set of skills to support both employee and organizational needs from a HR perspective.
- Observe and create email templates and/or responses to common HR questions or topics to ensure that all HR-related information is effectively captured and transparent.
- Assist in providing general administrative support for special HR and administrative projects, including collecting and organizing survey data, conducting research, and other tasks that may arise in response to shifting internal priorities.
- Support reporting and presentation requests to provide high-level analyses that will inform HR initiatives and strategies using HRIS data.
- Participate in the implementation of global HR initiatives, working with HR colleagues and clients to help identify and create streamlined and scalable process improvements across the function.
- Additional duties and learning opportunities as assigned.
- Receive mentorship and opportunities to collaborate with HR professionals across a highly matrixed, global non-profit organization.
- Develop HR industry knowledge, experience, and skills that can be applied to a variety of different HR roles.
- Experience with HR project management and presenting complex information that will influence strategic decisions and change efforts in the organization.
- Access to over 400+ self-directed online courses developed by IRC and other humanitarian organizations and companies.
- Opportunity to join listening sessions and department meetings to develop an understanding of IRC and the global humanitarian aid, relief, and development sector.
Key Working Relationships:
Reports to: Senior HR Associate, Global Headquarters
Key Internal Relationships:
Senior Director, Human Resources, Global Headquarters
Global HQ HR Team colleagues
Global HR functional leaders and HR colleagues across other geographies and technical areas including: Compensation & Benefits, Talent Management, Duty of Care, Global Recruitment, Employee Relation, HR Ops & IT, as well as General Counsel, Ethics & Compliance Unit, etc.
- Prior HR knowledge and experience, or interest in HR
- Experience or familiarity with NGOs and/or fundraising
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Demonstrated ability and fulfillment in operating with a client service approach, and building and fostering positive working relationships; highly resourceful
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; experience in Workday and applicant tracking systems a plus
- Self-motivated, ability to plan, prioritize and problem solve independently
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and on deadline; committed to timely and creative problem solving
- Flexibility, adaptability, and resilience in working in a constantly evolving environment
- Ability and commitment to the highest ethical standards including maintaining confidentiality
- Ability to commit no more than 20 hours per week
- Ability to support and partner with teams with significant geographic dispersion
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and analytical skills
- Proficiency in English; proficiency in French, Arabic, Spanish and/or another IRC language a distinct advantage
- Standard office working environment, including in remote settings
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Equality, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Respect at Work, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, and Combating Trafficking in Persons.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days (depending on role and tenure), medical insurance starting at $145 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare, childcare, and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with up to 4.5% immediately vested matching contribution, plus a 3-7% base IRC contribution (3 year vesting), disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires new hires to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-office or hybrid positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).
How to apply
Closing date: 10/3/2022