MSF - Holland
Emergency Team members spend about 90% of their work days (so excluding holidays) in field locations, travelling with short notice to any required area and approximately 10% at the headquarters (or working from home) for briefing/debriefing/trainings/working on specific tasks.
Place in the organisation
Overall: reports to the Head of Emergency Support Department in Amsterdam.
During field assignments reports to relevant Country Management Team (CMT) member.
Functional line to the HR Advisors in Amsterdam.
Main objective of the position
To oversee Human Resource related issues in emergency responses in the field. This consists of providing HR support within missions/projects, either in key positions/Country Management Team (CMT), or through responding to emergencies within those missions. These responses may be under the management of the CMT, or under the direct management of the Emergency Desk, depending on the situation.
Description of the position
- Function as a Human Resources manager or coordinator in emergency projects/missions, new missions or existing projects managed by the Emergency Desk.
- Define, adapt, plan and supervise the implementation of MSF OCA human resources policies in emergency missions, ensuring they are in line with the context, the operational challenges and the strategic HR.
- Design country specific HR policies, in line with OCA HR framework, in interventions where MSF does not already have a presence.
- Define and develop a HR strategy which accurately reflects the needs in emergency missions.
- Ensure OCA’s responsible behaviour standards are well communicated and adhered to throughout the mission
- Act as a strategic partner to operations in missions
- Willingness to work wherever the job demands it and the flexibility to work in different roles according to operational needs and skills and competence of the individual (eg, may be asked to perform as HRCo, orHR Admin/Manager or as another specific function).
- Oversees the development and implementation of trainings for staff.
- At least 18 months field experience with one of the MSF sections in at least two different missions, of which at least one emergency project &/or a med/high security setting
- Strong knowledge of HR policies and procedures.
- Ability to understand and interpret operational needs and objectives, while maintaining HR best practise to achieve them.
- Ability to adjust HR support setup to changes in context/operations. Ability to critically reflect on existing setups.
- Proven organizational skills, diplomatic skills and experience with the representation of Médecins sans Frontières.
- Ability to prioritize among competing needs;
- Demonstratable (people) management and coaching skills;
- Fluent English language skills;
- ‘Can do mentality’, creative, and capacity to motivate others and lead a team into action;
- A flexible and solution-oriented mentality, and the ability to be decisive in chaotic circumstances;
- Able to bring about changes and challenge existing preconceptions in the current MSF staffing model, e.g. encouraging detachments, more locally recruited staff in senior leadership roles, etc
- Knowledge of standard software within MSF-OCA (Homere/ Word/Excel/ Outlook).
- Willingness to travel to any required area, frequently at short notice.
- Strong knowledge of OCA HR policies and procedures;
- Proficiency in languages (particularly French, Spanish and/or Arabic);
- Experience and skills in finance
- A full-time appointment for 1 year with a potential to renew (based on performance);
- Salary is depending on three main factors: domicile, level of responsibility and experience on the job. Candidate’s domicile determines which MSF section will act as employer;
- Candidate’s domicile determines which MSF section will act as employer
- 45 holidays per year
- Completion bonus of 1.5 month of extra salary after completion of every 12 months commitment
- Prioritization for trainings in MSF (external trainings additionally considered)
- A challenging position within a stimulating, professional working environment in a major international organization – plus great colleagues to work alongside!
How to apply
If you recognise yourself in this profile, we welcome you to apply directly via our website and upload a letter of motivation + Curriculum Vitae (in English) as one combined document.
The application deadline is 4 December 2022 at 23:59 CET.