The Asia Foundation
Strengthening Rule of Law Through Legal Aid Clinic in the Philippines
Terms of Reference
Consultant for the Clinical Legal Education Journal
The Asia Foundation, with support from the U.S. Embassy Manila’s Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL), is implementing Strengthening Rule of Law through Legal Aid Clinics in the Philippines (Legal Aid Project) to help strengthen and promote rule of law in the Philippines. The Legal Aid Project aims to do this through the establishment of a national network of legal aid clinics and enhancement of clinical legal education programs in law schools to increase access to free legal services.
The Foundation, in partnership with the Supreme Court of the Philippines, the Legal Education Board, the Philippine Association of Law Schools, and the Association of Law Students of the Philippines has organized the 1st Clinical Legal Education Summit on December 1 to 3, 2022. The Summit aims to bring together scholars and practitioners from the Philippines to showcase experiences, best practices, and theories in clinical legal education in the country.
A Clinical Legal Education (CLE) Journal shall be launched as part of the Summit activities. The Journal shall cover topics and themes on clinical legal education in the country – developments and challenges on legal instruction and pedagogy amidst the pandemic, initiatives of law schools and law practitioners for increasing access to justice in their communities, and stories of resilience and change.
Considering the foregoing, the Foundation is looking for an Editorial Managing Editor (Consultant) to aid the CLE Journal Committee in the review, selection, publication, and launch of the CLE Journal.
Scope of Work
The Editorial Managing Editor shall be primarily responsible for managing the submissions, review, and publication process of the CLE Journal. This would entail the following:
1. Work closely with the Editor-in-Chief and the Foundation to ensure the publication of the CLE Journal
2. Work with the Editor-in-Chief, the members of the Editorial Board, and the representatives from the Foundation regarding the submission of abstracts, papers and proposals for the CLE Journal.
3. Attend meetings of the CLE Journal Committee and the Editorial Board
4. Review abstracts, papers, and proposals for the CLE Journal and recommend submissions for approval to the Editorial Board.
5. Monitor the review process by managing the review and editing of manuscripts by copyeditors. Perform final editing of approved content prior publication. They must
6. Coordinate with authors for the revisions and the submission of their draft and final manuscripts.
7. Perform such functions inherent, incidental or essential to the abovementioned tasks as may be directed by the Editor-in-Chief, the Editorial Board, and The Foundation.
1. The Candidate must have a Law/Legal Background. A Master’s degree in law (LL.M.) is an advantage, but not required. They must have experience as editor-in-chief or member of an editorial board of an academic law journal.
2. Candidate must have a track record of screening, reviewing, copy-editing, and publishing legal academic journals. Having experience in writing legal academic journal articles and publication history is preferred for this position.
3. Experience in legal education, whether through law school administration or law school instruction, is an advantage.
- Part-time engagement; August to February 2023
- Professional fee will be paid upon review and approval of milestones submitted
How to apply
APPLICATION GUIDELINES: Interested applicants should send in their The Asia Foundation Application Form (https://tinyurl.com/TAFAppForm2022), EBD Form (https://tinyurl.com/EBDForm), and sample portfolio (if any) to [email protected] before the indicated deadline.
#remote #consultancybased #nowhiring #WorkingWithTAFPH #WorkingWithTheAsiaFoundationPH