The Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH) is a world-leading institute in global health with a particular focus on low- and middle-income countries. Associated with the University of Basel, Swiss TPH combines research, education and services at local, national and international levels. 900 people from 80 nations work at Swiss TPH focusing on infectious and non-communicable diseases, environment, society and health as well as health systems and interventions.
The Department Swiss Centre for International Health (SCIH) of Swiss TPH provides policy advice, project design and management in the area of national and global health with the aim to strengthen health systems and improve health service delivery.
The Health Systems Support Unit is currently looking for a
Junior public health & health financing specialist (80-100%)
We aim at identifying a junior candidate with a strong interest and first experiences on health systems, especially health economics and financing in low and middle income countries (LMIC).
Within our health financing portfolio, we emphasize Universal Health Coverage, health insurance, financial access to health, health information systems and digital tools including openIMIS. Our work is integrated in a multidisciplinary team with the aim to strengthen health systems in international settings*.* We aim at identifying a candidate with a strong interest and first experiences in public health and health financing especially in low and middle income countries (LMICs).
The successful candidate is expected to contribute to:
- Implementing our portfolio of short and long-term projects in health systems strengthening, health economics and health financing
Carrying out activities in the following areas:
o support to health insurance structures in LMIC,
o conducting economic analysis studies,
o working on health financing and Universal Health Coverage (UHC) concepts,
o including use of ICT with special focus on low and middle income countries (LMIC)
- Working in the area of health systems strengthening, implementation research, assisting in surveys, monitoring and evaluation and capacity building (teaching and training)
- Strengthening our policy advice capacities in health systems strengthening including Universal Health Coverage (UHC), health financing and improvement of financial access to health services
- Identifying and collaborating in competitive bids and partnerships for projects in the above mentioned areas
- Contributing to creating visibility of our activities e.g. through contributions to IEC materials, website presence, social medias, events, etc.
To best fit into our active, interdisciplinary team we ask for the following requirements:
- Master degree in health economics, public health and/or a similar degree with knowledge on health economics and health financing, ideally health insurances
- At least 2 years of experience in health systems strengthening especially health financing related to LMIC or similar relevant experience
- Knowledge of the application of economic methodology and / or health financing and UHC concepts
- Experience in the development of projects, in building up communication on and within projects and in conducting trainings with partner structures of projects are an asset
- Excellent command of French and English, any other language is a further asset
- Ability to adapt quickly, to work across different projects within a matrix and flexible organization
- Strong aptitude for learning new ICT systems
- Spirit of development support work and will to embrace Swiss TPH’s vision to make the world a healthier place, its mission and strategic goals
- Willingness and availability to travel regularly to LMIC countries
Furthermore we expect a high level of commitment and flexibility, good communication skills, strong spirit of team work, capacity to take initiative and ability to work independently with professionals in multi-cultural contexts.
Swiss TPH an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity.
The position is based in Allschwil near Basel, the main place of work and will include also time spent travelling and remote assignments.
Contact: For more information please visit our website: https://www.swisstph.ch/en/about/scih/sysu/**
Start Date: immediately or upon agreement
Location: Allschwil near Basel, Switzerland
Duration: limited contract of 2 years with a possibility of extension**
Traveling: in the range of once every 1-2 months and remote assignments
How to apply
Please submit your application online via the link provided below:
If you are interested, please submit your application with:
- Motivational letter
- Reference letters and diploma
- Salary expectations
- Names and contact information (email or phone) of 2 references
Please note that we can only accept applications via our online recruiting tool: https://recruitingapp-2698.umantis.com/Jobs/All
Applications via e-mail or external recruiter will not be considered.
The deadline for applications is 3 May 2022.