Médecins Sans Frontières
Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association. Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 24 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations.
JOB GENERAL OBJECTIVE AND CONTEXT
Emergency responses fall under the responsibility of the Operations Department, specifically the Emergency Unit (EU). The operational plan is channelling most of its energies and capacities to-wards providing lifesaving and comprehensive care for victims of acute and protracted conflict and violence, emphasizing high quality interventions and the safety and dignity of patients. In doing so, OCBA will have emergency response to acute needs at the forefront of our organizational priorities and culture, in a range of 20 to 30% of our operational volume. We will continue improving timely and appropriate emergency response in conflicts, to outbreaks and to acute nutritional crises.
Hierarchically accountable to the Head of the Emergency Unit (REUE), the Mission Fin/HR Manager is part of a team composed of around 20 people of the MSF OCBA “Emergency Team” or emergency pool. A typical intervention is composed of a General Emergency coordinator or Field Coordinator depending mainly of the size of the emergency, emergency medical/logistic/financial coordinators and medical/logistic/financial technicians.
He will be responsible to coordinate and supervise the accounting of the mission (accounting, treasury, audit procedures, etc.) according to the instructions of the Finance Coordinator, and in compliance with legal obligations and MSF standards and protocols in order to provide quality, reliable and transparent information to the organization on the use and allocation of resources in the mission.
Also, depending on the type of intervention, he will be responsible to plan and coordinate and implement HR, Admin and Financial activities and policies in the project mission/project according to legal obligations and MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to provide quality, reliable and transparent information to the organization on the use and allocation of resources in the project and to realize the HR capacity required to achieve project objectives.
MAIN RESPONSABILITIES, FUNCTIONS AND TASKS
- Being responsible for quality and timely accounting for the whole mission.
- Coordinating and overseeing the monthly and yearly closing of accounts and balance sheet and reporting the mission’s accounting statement.
- Being responsible for the financial management of donor contracts e.g. preparing and verifying the financial reports to donors.
- Coordinating and overseeing the payment of tax liabilities in order to comply with legal obligations.
- Coordinating and supervising the conduct of local audits relating to accounting, tax, labour, stock and asset management.
- In close coordination with the Project Coordinator (PC) and the HR Coordinator and Finance Coordinator, calculating, analysing and monitoring the project’s HR and Financial operational needs.
- Planning, supervising and ensuring the implementation of, in close coordination with the HRCo, the associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing, induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication) of the project staff.
- Ensuring hiring, amendments and contract termination formalities for employees at project level are according to local labour laws.
- Supervising/performing payroll procedures.
- Essential solid accountancy training and experience-professional accounting qualification.
- Desirable University degree in accounting, finance or business administration.
- Essential 2 years previous experience in similar relevant position jobs.
- In OCBA, essential 2 years or at least 2 missions of previous experience are similar relevant positions.
- Knowledge of English/French/Spanish, good level of two at least.
- Essential computer literacy (Word, Excel, internet).
- Local accounting standards, Desirable MSF accounting software, ERP system knowledge, local laws.
- Essential HR and Financial MSF software.
- Availability to travel frequently and be based overseas.
- Availability to work in unstable contexts.
- Based in the field during interventions.
- Full-time position.
- Salary defined by the MSF-Spain salary grid.
- Commitment: minimum 1 year.
- Starting date: ASAP.
How to apply
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter:
Closing date: December 11th, 2022, 23:59 CET (Central European Time).
MSF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, race, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We are committed to achieving a balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. MSF provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference checks.
Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above-mentioned position.