War Child Canada
War Child Canada is a registered Canadian charity based in Toronto that works with war-affected communities to help children reclaim their childhood through access to education, opportunity, and justice. War Child Canada has over 15 years of experience working in communities in conflict and post-conflict zones. All work is implemented in direct partnership with local communities, local NGOs and other stakeholders using a child-centered approach. War Child Canada currently works in Afghanistan, Uganda, Sudan, South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and Yemen.
The Geared for Success (GFS) Project: War Child Canada (WCC) in partnership with, Oxfam Canada (OCA), and our respective in country teams as well as 6 community-based organizations will be implementing the project “Geared for Success’ – IDP-led and RLOs driving education in Uganda and South Sudan” (GFS). WCC and its partners will implement the 5-year gender-responsive education project (2022- 2027) in South Sudan and Uganda and a public engagement component in Canada. Although GFS will directly reach people in Canada, the ultimate project participants are students/learners in Uganda and South Sudan.
The Program Implementation Plan (PIP) Coordinator will assist in implementing and coordinating the Geared for Success (GFS) project start up and PIP development process and ensure that agreed planning objectives are met and office activities and workplans are coordinated and integrated at HQ level. They have a key role in ensuring a smooth PIP development process and the consolidation of the final plan. This role will work with both War Child Canada and Oxfam Canada project team members.
Project Implementation Plan Development & Coordination Tasks
The principal objective of the post is to provide strategic, technical and operational expertise in Global Affairs project start-up and PIP development.
Tasks will include:
- Lead the WCC & OCA GFS teams on planning and implementation of all project start up tasks and PIP steps.
- Carefully review the proposal documents, contribution agreement, final budget, and GAC feedback to ensure the PIP is meeting the donor and stakeholder expectations
- Co-facilitate strategic planning meetings
- Liaise and coordinate with War Child Canada and Oxfam Canada GFS focal points and relevant technical staff to secure relevant agency inputs, feedback, etc.
- Liaise and coordinate with the GFS Baseline Study Consultant re: MEAL and project reach related elements of PIP and annexes
- Guide country offices through PIP development processes including guidance on GAC requirements and core sections of the PIP, Lead the War Child Canada GFS team in planning the PIP inception workshops in Uganda and South Sudan including but not limited to, Pre PIP planning leading meetings, developing agendas, support to PowerPoint preparation, organizing sessions, and advising on facilitation roles.
- Coordinate PIP document inputs from WCC and OCA, consolidate and edit PIP and incorporate feedback to PIP draft. Ensure consistency between PIP and supporting annexes.
- Other related tasks as identified and mutually agreed
- Action plan for 4-month consultancy
- Pre-PIP action points for Country Offices (COs)
- Ensure that WCC and OCA staff agree on PIP workplan and related deliverables
- Training to COs on PIP process
- PIP agenda and workshop plan
- Agreed PIP workshop PowerPoint presentations in addition to those developed by WCC and OCA staff
- Final PIP document and annexes are consistent, and ready for WCC and OCA approval for submission to GAC
Knowledge and Skills
- At least 7 years project management experience working in international development and/or humanitarian response. A bachelor’s and/or master’s degree in international development, or related area, Extensive knowledge of GAC as a donor and experience in project start up and the PIP development process is required.
- Strong English-language writing skills with a particular understanding of how to write for GAC as a donor.
- Strong team-oriented personality, previous experience coordinating a team, and an understanding of effective consortium management.
- An effective communicator with facilitation experience who can connect with diverse audiences.
- Has a strong understanding of gender equality/equity and humanitarian principles and can provide practical and theoretical ad hoc guidance to diverse stakeholders.
- Knowledge of and commitment to child safeguarding and prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse principles and experiencing integrating these principles into project design.
Travel for an estimated 2-week period to include Uganda (and possibly South Sudan).
How to apply
Interested applicants are invited to send a curriculum vitae and an accompanying cover letter and a consultancy proposal not exceeding ($40,000) electronically to:
Please ensure your application email has the subject heading of ‘Program Implementation Plan (PIP) Coordinator (Consultancy)’
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please. War Child Canada is an equal opportunity employer.
War Child Canada is committed to providing a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Final candidates will be vetted in accordance with War Child Canada’s Child Safeguarding Policy, including appropriate reference and security checks.
For more information about War Child Canada, please visit www.warchild.ca