Church World Service
Position Title: Property Supervisor
Reports To: Property Manager
Division: CWS Africa
Department: Administration, Property Management
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Grade Level: Grade 7, Supervisor, National
Introduction: Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit, faith-based organization transforming communities around the globe through just and sustainable solutions to hunger, poverty, displacement and disaster. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
This position is primarily responsible for managing the motor pool, inventory/assets, and supplies. This position directly supervises Property Officers, Drivers and Stores Assistants.
- End to end asset management from acquisition, record keeping, insurance, maintenance and disposal.
- Manages the RSC Africa motor pool and advises on motor vehicle needs such as disposal or new purchases.
- Directly supervises eight drivers, three Property Officers, and three Stores Assistants.
- Manages all RSC Africa equipment and ensures proper maintenance schedules are adhered to
- Oversees Management of Property contractors and service agreements to ensure they deliver their services as per their contracts.
- Oversees inventory levels and ensures that adequate levels are maintained for uninterrupted refugee processing.
- Periodic reporting of Asset Management, Supplies and Fleet Management activities.
- Oversees RSC Africa Property functions and ensures integrity and strict adherence to the compliance with US Government requirements, CWS and RSC Africa policies, guidelines and procedures
- Coordinates asset and fleet management functions with CWS Africa Sub-offices offering support and ensuring compliance with the main SOPs
- Ensures development, implementation, dissemination and monitoring of standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Monitor the Property Mailbox and ensure that the established protocols are being followed.
Management and Analysis.
- Conducts regular market surveys to determine the best price for quality goods and services
- Oversees the requisition, maintenance, and inventory arrangement of expendable and non-expendable equipment, assets, supplies and vehicles
- Takes lead on monthly projections and annual budget preparation and revisions, and monitors expenses in accordance with authorized budgets
- Ensures that insurance is in place for all property and other liabilities in accordance with the laws in all RSC Africa offices
- Supervises, manages and evaluates staff performance under their supervision
- Ensures coaching, mentoring, feedback and corrective action plans are being carried out where needed.
- Ensures that staff receive the necessary annual trainings in different aspects of their areas of specialization
- Monitors and ensures a safe, healthy and professional work environment.
- Actively supports staff by promoting safe space, open-door and the escalation policy.
- Monitors time and attendance records for the staff under their supervision.
- Ensure direct reports are accessing and using their benefits appropriately including leave.
- Coordinates some tasks on behalf of the Property Manager, Senior Property Officer or Property Officers in their absence.
- Other duties as assigned by CWS/RSC Africa Management.
- Six (6) years paid work experience required
- Four (4) years related work experience required.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Experience working with contractors and vendors required.
- Three years’ experience working with an International NGO preferred.
- Experience managing an NGO motor pool preferred.
- Asset Management experience.
- Experience managing inventories and ensuring stock levels are appropriately maintained preferred
- Knowledge of RSC Africa asset and fleet management procedures preferred.
- Demonstrated computer skills, especially Microsoft Excel
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or a related field required, or four (4) years additional experience in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree required.
- Supervise staff to ensure policies and procedures are implemented and executed in accordance with guidelines and standard operating procedures;
- Maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail, completing tasks within set timeframes;
- Exercise good judgement and seek guidance as appropriate when confronted with unanticipated problems;
- Deal effectively and courteously with a large number of associates, outside agencies, refugees and members of the general public;
- Manage large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities.
- Maintain the integrity of official records;
- Analyze and solve complex problems and make sound decisions;
- Work with minimal supervision
- Maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail;
- Work independently and contribute to overall operations of RSC Africa;
- Actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP).
- Strong English communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and willingness to support CWS’ Platform on Racial Justice as a CWS employee required.
- COVID Vaccination is required for all successful candidates
- The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions and have a high degree of flexibility. Must have proof of Yellow Fever vaccination before traveling for RSC Africa
- This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya
- This position requires use of laptops at all time, competence in Microsoft office packages is required.
- This position may require travel in sub-Saharan Africa on short notice and under sometimes difficult conditions to meet demands of a dynamic operational program
- Background check which includes references and an educational and criminal check is required before the start of employment
- A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment is required, which includes having enough passport pages for travel.
- Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying heavy loads.
- Environmental: Incumbents in this position will be exposed to excessive noise, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases, harsh weather climates, long work hours, bumpy roads, extended travel, excessive sun exposure, and non-ventilated spaces.
- Full Time
- All employees should be prepared to work from the CWS office within their location of hire. Remote work arrangements may vary depending on location and the governing rulings regarding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Flexibility and willingness to work long hours, including working on Weekend as needed.
Disclaimer: Job openings advertised to create a talent pool for future openings.
How to apply
To apply Log onto CWS Careers site: Work with CWS – CWS (cwsglobal.org)
Deadline: 24 Mar 2023