Danish Refugee Council
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a leading protection agency with a mandate is to promote and protect durable solutions to conflict and displacement affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights.
DRC has been operating in Ukraine since 2014, currently DRC employs over 250 staff in Ukraine and will continue significant scale-up in 2022 to implement emergency response in the Protection, Livelihoods, Shelter/NFIs and Humanitarian Disarmament and Peacebuilding (humanitarian mine action) sectors, using direct interventions, support to duty bearers and civil society organizations (CSOs), and partnerships with CSOs. DRC will continue and adapt its durable solutions portfolio to the evolving context.
DRC is currently looking for Protection Team Leader for its operation in Dnipro Area.
About the job:
In close colaboration with Protection Manager, Protection Team Leader will:
- lead protection program activities in the field;
- deliver technical support and guidance to team;
- ensure the quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of all technical aspects of the protection program activities being implemented by DRC
- develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern, relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s sector activities
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Provide leadership, management and support to the Protection Staff in implementation of general protection activities in accordance with agreed objectives
- Ensure that the Monitoring Evaluation and Referrals are done accordingly by the Protection Staff
- Contribute the project planning and implementation on the filed level
Programming & Operations
- In close coordination with the Protection manager and legal protection officers, ensure efficient and effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/reports and proposals and budgets for donors;
- Document case studies, best practices and lessons learned from the cases handled by the protection staff
- Support the protection team in implementation of protection activities in accordance with agreed objectives
- Carry out Protection monitoring, data collection and documenting the needs of the persons of concern
- Plan and participate in awareness raising sessions and information campaigns of the persons of concern
- Participate in joint assessments, identifying protection concerns and reporting
- Support mapping of services and development of effective referral pathways
- Identify, conduct and follow up referral.
- Ensure adequate and relevant data collection
- Draft protection monitoring reports, provide input in designing protection monitoring tools and formats when required
- Planning and conduct interviews with beneficiaries, focus group discussions and Conduction of key‐informant interviews and drafting of the relevant reports
- Regular reporting to the Area manager of the activities implemented; as well as planned for the coming week
- Represent DRC in protection meetings as required, and drafting of relevant minutes and communicated as required.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the area manager, relevant to the achievement of protection objectives
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on sector relevant issues
- Represent DRC in protection meetings as required and drafting of relevant minutes and communicated as required.
- Ensure integration with other DRC sectors
- Develop project plans and budgets for funding
- Contributing to the program tools development
- Project implementation and reporting
- Support the monitoring of financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-up
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different operational areas
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution
- Ensure distribution plans are prepared and shared with logistics in a timely manner
To be successful in this role we expect you to have minimum 3 years of management experience at a mid to senior level, preferably with experience in the field of humanitarian response and refugee protection working for an international NGO, UN agency, relevant ministry, or local authority.
Required experience and competencies:
- Degree in Human Rights, Political Science, Refugee Law, or any other relevant field
- Proven experience in implementing GBV activities in complex emergency contexts.
- Minimum 3 years of practical experience in sector area working for an INGO
- Proven management skills and a competence in people management
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures.
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Field experience
- High professional ethics
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract: 6 months, with possibility of an extension, depending on funding and performance.
Salary at Band G – managerial and conditions in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff.
Duty station: Dnipro
Start date: ASAP
Application and CV
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications sent together with a CV and cover letter (no longer than four pages), in English will be considered.
Do not apply if you do not have the necessary experience and qualifications.
Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
Closing date for applications: 31 August 2022
How to apply
Closing date: 8/31/2022