WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their shattered lives. Present in nearly 80 countries, the organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to nutritious food and contribute to the lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas. We manage an operating budget of approximately $5.9 billion each year, distributing 12.6 billion rations to those most in need. We reach an average of 80 million people with food assistance in around 80 countries each year. The World Food Programme office in Johannesburg is a Regional Office coordinating and supporting the delivery of humanitarian assistance and providing technical support to 12 Southern Africa countries including, Angola, Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eswatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Republic of Congo, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
For more on WFP and what we do, please go to: http://www.wfp.org/videos/zero-hunger
This position is based in the Regional Bureau in Johannesburg and reports to the Senior Human Resource Officer or the designate. Job holders operate with a high degree of independence and will be expected to drive the diversity and inclusion agenda across the region.
WFP’s greatest strength is its 20,000+ dedicated people working tirelessly around the world to reduce hunger, often under difficult conditions where security threats and risks to personal safety are considerable. The global context in which WFP operates is rapidly changing which means the need for effective people management is becoming more important than ever before. WFP is committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive workplace in order to accomplish its mandate and strategic objectives. Focus on diversity ensures increase in equity, a more inclusive workforce and more positive outcomes for all employees and the communities we serve. The Diversity and Inclusion Specialist will work closely with the Senior Regional Human Resources Officer in Johannesburg and the WFP Headquarters Diversity and Inclusion Team to implement and promote the global diversity and inclusion strategy across the Southern Africa region. The role will include managing initiatives, events and programmes that support the overall objectives and goals of our diversity and inclusion agenda.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
This role includes, but is not limited to, the following accountabilities:
- Lead the development and implementation of a comprehensive diversity and inclusion strategy for talent acquisition, talent management and retention in the region
- Review and provide input for the advancement of diversity and inclusion in existing and future HR policies, procedures and practices
- Proactively support regional and country office talent acquisition efforts to appeal to a more diverse pool of applicants
- Support and guide the regional recruitment team to help create a WFP brand and strengthen WFP Employee Value Proposition(EVP) to appeal to diverse applicants and decrease bias
- Design and develop capacity building materials and training on diversity and inclusion in partnership with the HQ Capability team
- Social media engagement and outreach – Proactively generate diversity and inclusion content through social media channels to attract and retain diverse talent
- Conduct ongoing research on regional demographic trends and global best practices and recommend strategies for enhancing diversity and inclusion efforts in the region
- Regularly monitor and report on diversity and inclusion progress in the region, including disseminating information to relevant stakeholders
- Participate in organisational and regional expert joint working groups on diversity and inclusion to infuse cutting edge practices
- Facilitate and organize regional and country office events, workshops and programmes to create awareness and encourage participation in the diversity and inclusion agenda
- Perform other duties as required
- Knowledge of D&I best practices, techniques, and processes with an understanding of the basic theoretical background
- Ability to compile, maintain and analyse data, draw relevant conclusions, prepare a wide range of reports and deliver presentations to multiple stakeholders
- Ability to build and maintain effective work relationships
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to organize and prioritize work in a dynamic and complex environment to meet deadlines and daily requirements.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A University Degree in Human Resource Management, Social Sciences, Psychology or Behavioural Sciences, Organization Development, Administration, Industrial Relations, Psychology or other relevant field with related work experience. A professional certification in Diversity and Inclusion would be an asset.
Experience: A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience working with diversity, equity and inclusion related initiatives and programmes
Language: Fluency (level C) in oral and written English language. Intermediate Knowledge (Level B) of a second UN Language is an advantage
How to apply
Current WFP employees apply via: Internal WFP candidates’ link to apply
All other candidates apply via: External candidates’ link to apply
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
This Vacancy Announcement will close on Sunday , 10 April 2022 at 11:59pm Johannesburg time