We are looking for an experienced professional from the humanitarian sector or with climate adaptation/environmental science background. You will have a strategic mindset, strong programme knowledge, strong analytical skills and excellent personal and interpersonal skills to lead and coordinate the implementation of NRC’s Climate and Environment Strategy 2030.
Come join us!
The climate and environment crisis is the defining challenge of our generation. As a displacement organisation, the climate and environment crisis is of major concern to NRC both as a cause of new displacements and because of the new risks, it presents to people already displaced. In the current strategy period, NRC is prioritising to strengthen its response to address the impacts of climate change on the displacement affected and to reduce our own environmental footprint.
What you will do
As our Global Lead for Climate and Environment, you will be accountable for leading the strategic development of NRC’s response related to Climate and Environment. This includes setting direction for the implementation of the development area, piloting, evaluating and coordinating the sharing of knowledge and expertise within NRC – at all levels in relation to the development area – in addition to managing associated resources and mobilizing resources.
The specific responsibilities and deliverables will change over time, as the work under the sub-objective proceeds. Already identified responsibilities:
- Manage the ECHO funded project on strengthening capacity of humanitarian actors to conduct environmental screenings, including recruitments, communication about the project and reporting
- Manage the establishment of consultancies funded by KfW on climate adaptation and environmental minimum standards, in collaboration with strategic lead on Reduced Environmental Footprint
- Manage mapping on Climate Adaptation and present recommendations to Senior Management
- Be engaged in the discussion and take forward conclusions on NRC’s ambition level related to access to clean energy for the displacement affected.
- Represent NRC, together with strategic lead on Reduced Environmental Footprint, in Norwegian NGO forum on Climate & Environment issues
We know that you are curious and would like to learn more about this role; please click here to access the full Job Description.
What you will bring
You are either an in-depth expert within the Climate and Environment in Humanitarian Action, or have a broader knowledge and appreciation, in which case you will focus on drawing together the emerging knowledge and expertise available throughout NRC, at HO, RO and CO level, and externally. In addition, you will be successful in this role is you have the following;
- Minimum 8 years of relevant leadership/management/adviser experience within the humanitarian field, climate adaptation or in environmental science;
- Experience of programme quality assessments, programme development and delivery;
- Experience in drafting and encouraging change management through implementation of policy/strategic guidance, and developing practical tools and resources;
- High level of understanding of organisational learning, and the role and contribution of M&E to evidencing impact;
- Understanding of effective matrix management, including working with virtual teams and providing technical supervision and support across multiple locations;
- Credibility to represent NRC at a strategic level, and contribute to global policy developments with key donors and stakeholders;
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal. Working knowledge of other NRC languages (Spanish, French and Arabic) is an asset.
Whom you will work with
You will join our colleagues in Head Office and be part of the Global Programme Section, in the Field Operations department in Oslo. You will report to the Global Programme Strategy and Innovation Director. The Global Programme Section sets NRC’s programme policy and develops and leads the implementation of programmatic content of NRCs Global Strategy. To ensure that NRC is a leading displacement organization the section continuously explores new areas, fosters knowledge and learning, and is NRC’s programme face to the global humanitarian community. It consists of three units: Programme Policy and Development, Programme Strategy and Innovation and Monitoring and Evaluation.
What makes this position attractive?
- A challenging and exciting opportunity with an international team dedicated to the rights of people forced to flee;
- A chance to lead and coordinate the implementation of NRC’s Climate and Environment Strategy 2030;
- A 4 year fulltime contract with Oslo as the preferred duty station, but we are also open to considering placement at other NRC Representational Offices;
- Salary and benefits according to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions.
We are also looking for people who share our values:
- To be dedicated in what we do;
- To be innovative with our solutions;
- To act as one unified and inclusive team;
- To be accountable to the donors that make our work possible; the beneficiaries that we exist to serve; and to each other… the members of our NRC family.
How to apply
Please click here to submit your application