Regional Human Resources Manager – Africa
Conservation International protects nature for the benefit of humanity. Through science, policy, fieldwork, and finance, we spotlight and secure the most important places in nature for the climate, biodiversity, and for people. With offices in 30 countries and projects in more than 100 countries, Conservation International partners with governments, companies, civil society, Indigenous peoples, and local communities to help people and nature thrive together.
POSITION SUMMARY – This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya
The Regional HR Manager- Africa provides guidance and solutions on human resources operational issues and facilitates the delivery of HR services. Through both administrative and strategic support, the Regional HR Manager supports employees, supervisors, and leaders on HR programs, policies, and processes and may coordinate and provide counsel to local Operations and HR Leads
Reporting to the Senior Director – HR Business Partner, the Regional HR manager will support HR projects and processes for the full spectrum of the employment life cycle. The Manager will lead or guide local talent acquisition, employee engagement, talent management and development, compensation and benefits, and performance management efforts. They will also play a critical role in ensuring legal HR and organizational compliance and due diligence. The position will ensure a close touch with employees and supervisors, serving as a critical internal resource, building relationships, and two-way feedback, and utilizing that knowledge to support employee engagement efforts.
The successful candidate will leverage their HR working knowledge to provide appropriate support for international-based staff, balancing global programs and local needs. They should thrive on supporting a dynamic workplace and portfolio, contributing to emerging and standing team projects, and delivering first-class HR advice and support to employees, supervisors, and leaders. The position requires an individual who is highly organized with strong attention to detail and possesses excellent interpersonal and communication skills, cultural adaptability, and a proven ability to collaborate and align various stakeholders.
- Provide guidance and interpretation of HR processes and systems for employees and supervisors.
- Partner with hiring managers and teams on workforce planning efforts at the project or proposal design stage. Provide budgeting and personnel costing information to appropriate budget for necessary positions.
- Promote standard job descriptions, coordinating with hiring managers and internal HR peers to ensure that they are updated and reflective of key needs.
- Support recruiting efforts, guiding hiring managers on best practices and HR policies in recruitment and selection to attract key talent in coordination with Talent Acquisition.
- Organize and coordinate recruiting process (creating job advertisements, performing candidate outreach, managing online postings, screening applications, and applicants, and scheduling interviews).
- Promote learning and development opportunities.
- Support the update of HR information on the HR Information system ensuring completeness and accuracy.
- Support new projects/ office start-ups within Africa.
- Coordinate onboarding efforts with the hiring programs, Global HR, and Learning and Development to ensure a seamless and supportive orientation experience for new hires at both local and global levels. Partner with Global HR and Learning and Development to routinely monitor and adjust, ensuring an appropriate feedback loop with new hires.
- Assist in administering talent and performance management processes, providing training, coordination, and tracking for key activities such as annual performance appraisal, talent mapping, and bi-annual promotion processes.
- Conduct exit interviews, track retention, and turnover data, and identify opportunity areas.
- Maintain HR-related knowledge management and documentation processes. Ensure appropriate data management and storage on contract templates, benefit summaries, termination paperwork, and other critical HR information.
- Assist in the communication, interpretation, and upkeep of HR policies, Country Office Guide to Managing HR, and local Operations Handbooks, and contribute to the development, maintenance, and communications of HR policies.
- Suggest new procedures and policies to continually improve the efficiency of the Global HR team and organization as a whole and to improve the employees’ experience.
- Support cross-team efforts for the CI People Operations Team, ensuring coordination and on-the-ground support with peers for diversity, equity, and inclusion; talent development; HR systems, compensation, and benefits.
- Support compliance with policies and procedures and the implementation of resolution for audit findings.
- Support hiring for new projects startups.
- Local and/or international travel of 30% or more, often in difficult travel conditions.
- Ability to work in remote locations or under difficult working conditions.
- Guidance on flexible work arrangements will be shared during the interview process.
- A Bachelor’s degree and 4 to 6 years of Human Resources experience or any similar combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge of multiple human resources disciplines including recruiting, compensation practices, performance management, and employment laws.
- Experience working in a multicultural international setting.
- Experience in solving complex issues through analysis and critical thinking with a solution-oriented mindset.
- Ability to confidentially manage HR, employee relations, and medical-related information and demonstrate ethical and professional conduct at all times.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects with competing demands.
- Highly organized and self-directed, comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities, and an understanding of whether and when to escalate issues.
- Excellent and persuasive oral and written communications skills; professionally assertive with the ability to influence without formal authority and capable of managing conflict and conflicting views.
- Demonstrated ability in Microsoft Office suite and a high degree of comfort in systems and spreadsheets.
- Experience in SharePoint and other collaboration tools.
- Highly detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills and multi-tasking abilities.
How to apply
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter.
Application Deadline: March 24, 2023 (11:49 PM EST)
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities and apply HERE
Conservation International is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled
Deadline: 24 Mar 2023