European Institute of Peace
The European Institute of Peace (EIP) is looking for exceptional individuals who share our vision for a world where people live in safety and peace because conflicts and grievances are resolved through inclusive dialogue and lasting political agreements.
We provide practical experience, technical expertise, and policy advice on conflict resolution. We use a variety of tools to help us do this, including analysis, mapping and design of peace processes and agreements, facilitating policy discussions, and proposing practical engagement, for example through inclusive dialogue and mediation support.
Based in Brussels and active in over a dozen countries, the European Institute of Peace is an independent organisation working collaboratively with European decision-makers, the parties to the conflict, and those who represent people suffering from insecurity or at risk of violence, as well as the conflict prevention, resolution and mediation community.
Our innovative approach to peace enables us to be agile, creative, and effective in everything we do, and these are key qualities we look for in our team members. See https://www.eip.org/ for more information.
We are looking for a Senior Accountant to support the Institute’s Operations Team (OPE). The Senior Accountant will work on the overall accounting and book keeping functions (general & tax accounting activities), business partnership, and maintenance of effective internal controls, while ensuring statutory compliance in all accounting initiatives.
About the Operations Team
The Operations Team ensures the optimal functioning of EIP’s operations by designing and implementing procedures, systems and practices which apply to administration, finance and HR, including safety and security. OPE works in direct support of the implementing units, by monitoring quality of deliverables through the provision of evaluation tools and learning initiatives and by ensuring compliance with policies, procedures and legal regulations in these areas.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Accountant’s responsibilities include preparing financial reports, performing account reconciliations, maintaining the general ledger, managing the end of period procedures, preparing tax returns, preparing statutory audit and project audits, and performing other accounting duties as assigned.
In more detail, the selected candidate will be responsible for:
- Closing the monthly/year-end and project end;
- The monthly GL reconciliation / Analytical accounting review;
- Project Income recognition;
- Being the audit focal point;
- Compliance with procedures / internal control / statutory requirements;
- Policy review and development;
- Preparing the financial statements and statutory audits;
- Monthly review and analysis of the balance sheet and profit and loss accounts;
- Executing foreign exchange transactions, calculating exchange rates and posts revaluations in the ledger;
- Preparing the donors’ external financial reports and the consolidated management accounts;
- Ensuring timely submission of the BNB, IPM, fiches 281.50, quarterly VAT.
· Bachelor in Accounting or a Master in Finance;
· Minimum 5 years of experience in equivalent position. Audit experience is a plus;
· Knowledge in VAT;
· Experience in the non-profit sector is an asset;
· Good command of English (verbal and written) is essential, and enjoying working in an English-speaking environment;
· Familiarity with WINBOOKS or a similar accounting program;
· Advanced knowledge of Excel
· Attention to details;
· Aptitude for building systems and procedures
The Institute offers
- Employment contract (open ended Belgian contract).
- Salary based on 13.92 months and commensurate to the position and experience.
- Benefits package which includes luncheon vouchers, hospital insurance, pension plan, and contribution to transportation;
- 40h/week including 12 RTT days per year;
- Orange SIM card;
- Contribution to teleworking allowance: 15 €
The Senior Accountant will have to be legally entitled to work in Belgium. He/she will be based in Belgium and work regularly at the Institute premises in Rue des Deux Eglises 25, Brussels.
Start date: December 2022
How to apply
Please submit in English:
- Your CV (Name_Surname_CV_ Senior Accountant);
- A one-page motivation letter (Name_Surname_ML_ Senior Accountant) demonstrating your qualification according to the profile.
Submit to: [email protected]
The deadline is 16/10/2022, 23:59 PM. Due to the likely large number of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited to perform a written test.
Closing date: 16-Oct-22