Norwegian Red Cross
The purpose of the Norcross Regional Finance Development Delegate is to ensure specialized, targeted, deliverable-based assistance to a number of National Societies (NS) in the Eastern Africa region. Working directly/closely with the NS, the mission of the Delegate will be to support the NS in improving their financial management such that they may efficiently implement their humanitarian action and fulfil their humanitarian mandate. This shall be accomplished in close collaboration with Movement partners and under established agreements. Technical service delivery provided by the Delegate should ensure in NS becoming accountable, efficient, and effective. The assistance provided to NS should be structured within international frameworks and standards e.g. (IFRS, IAS, McKenzie 7S, COSO Framework on Internal Controls and the COSO Framework on ERM).
The Delegate may also be requested to assist NS outside her/his region based on their specialization in coordination with respective line management.
- Ensures that the support provided is in conformity with the global service delivery model and is deliverable based such that it is designed and implemented in line with established technical standards and project management methodologies and support the operationalization of those standards.
- Improved financial management in select NSs’ which is grounded in a due diligence/needs assessment.
- Improved accountability, transparency & governance in select NSs’.
- Improve efficiency and effectiveness of Internal Controls.
- Increased efficiency, reliability and relevance of financial reporting and departmental structure
- Contributes proactively with other technical personnel to NorCross global efforts to establish and operationalize technical approaches and standards in finance development
- Adopt a risk-based approach by focusing on hinderances to the Finance Dept not achieving its operational, reporting and compliance goals.
- Evaluate the structure of the Finance Department using the McKinsey 7S model.
- Recommend new departmental structures focusing on efficiencies and renewed effectiveness. This includes revision and alignment of job descriptions and conducting specialized trainings on accounting, treasury, budgeting and grants plus compliance.
- Compile, map, and analyze processes within the Finance Department.
- Evaluate inherent and control risk while reviewing internal control coverages at a process level.
- Design new processes, internal controls while focusing on efficiencies and operation, reporting and compliance objectives.
- Using the COSO Framework on internal controls, evaluate the internal controls and provide recommendations on improving different components in the Finance Department.
- Assist NS in conducting external and internal audits by developing frameworks and ToRs in accordance with IAS (international Auditing Standards).
- Assist in revising Fraud and corruption policies, procedures and mechanisms. Analyse and recommend areas of improvement in financial oversight by governance.
- Focus on assisting NSs’ in terms of improving financial reporting (internal and external) insofar that efficiency, effectiveness and relevance increases.
- Introduce capabilities in NS accounting software to ensure automated, customizable, transparent and reliable financial reports are produced.
- In coordination with internal and external stakeholders, work on developing standardized NS financial reports.
- Develop deliverable based project documents including concept notes, proposals, specific objectives, budgets, PoAs, LFAs, Project risk assessment, ITTs and monitoring plans.
- Provide oversight on implementation of NS FD Plans of Actions through tertial progress reports.
- Fosters good relationship and works closely together with the host NS, PNS, IFRC and ICRC.
- Work as a team within the region and globally, to assist NS’s in meeting their needs in FD.
- Liaises, as needed, with Colleagues in the Country, Regional and National Office.
- Works closely together and participates in technical networks (FD and NSD) with other colleagues within NorCross at global, regional and country level.
- CPA/CA/Registered Auditor any accounting designation is a must, however, MBAs are also encouraged to apply.
- Members of an international professional accounting body are preferred.
- Over 10 years’ experience in Financial Management (Accounting, Budgeting, Grants and Compliance and Treasury).
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in consultancy or developing a implementing partner’s strength in financial management.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience of coaching, facilitating, managing and/or supporting staff.
- Experience of working for a humanitarian aid organisation preferably in a developing/conflict country/context.
- Good understanding of an ERP system Strong organizational development background (e.g. change management, HR, leadership, strategy development and implementation).
Functional Line – Deputy Regional Representative – Africa
Technical Line – Global Finance Development Coordinator
Position is based in:
12 months contract
Why should you apply?
- Meaningful: You`ll be a part of the world’s largest humanitarian organization, reaching the most vulnerable people in their local community.
- Impact: You will help National Societies in the region to become strong, self-sustained and accountable humanitarian actors.
- Career: You will be connected to an international organization with staff based all over the world
- A great place to work: You will work in a multicultural environment with hard-working, dedicated and fun colleagues with a strong culture of collaboration, continual improvement, and celebration of wins.
Norwegian Red Cross striving to build a working culture based on respect, honesty and generosity. We do a thorough background check on relevant candidate.
How to apply
Closing date: 7-Oct-22