ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Senior Director of Private Development, Institutional Donors works closely with the VP for Global Development and Internews Program Teams to significantly increase funding in support of Internews’ mission by researching and engaging prospective and current foundation and corporate donors for loosely restricted and restricted funding. They will be expected to design and execute on a comprehensive institutional donor strategy for Internews across all technical areas for private donors (Corporations and Foundations). This strategy will include cultivation of existing donors, as well as developing and cultivating new donor relationships with a view to growing Internews’ private sector funding significantly and in line with our organizational strategic plan. Additionally, the Senior Director will work closely with the board to support donor outreach and events. They will directly supervise a private development Senior Business Development Manager in the US as well as an equivalent position in Europe, and may supervise others should the need and/or growth of the organization’s funding successes with foundations and/or corporations require it.
Internews has US offices in Arcata, CA and Washington, DC which support a hybrid workforce with staff working remotely, fully in-office or partially remote. Ultimately, this position may work remotely from the US, partially remote from our Washington, DC office, or fully in-office for candidates based in the DC area. While the ideal candidate is based in the DC metro area, candidates based elsewhere in the US are welcome to apply. You should have work authorization in your location that does not require sponsorship from Internews. This position requires some flexibility to coordinate with colleagues spread around the globe.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams, and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
Strategic Leadership & Senior Management
- Develop Internews institutional donor strategy in collaboration with the VP for Global Development and others.
- Serve as a member of Internews’ Senior Staff team and contribute to team goals and discussions.
- Develop organizational strategy for the approach to the private sector portfoliothat supports the overall Internews strategic framework.
- Annually craft portfolio work plans and budgets that effectively advance this strategy.
- Provide strategic guidance to program and technical teams seeking private sector funding from institutional private donors, as well as to finance and business development staff in preparing budgets and financial reports for private sector donors.
- Work with finance staff in preparing private donor revenue forecasting for board meetings as well as draft narrative updates on private sector fundraising for board reports.
- Monitor trends in the sector and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary.
- Manage donor research and prospecting.
- In all duties, demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Supervision of Private Development Management
- Mentor private development leadership on managing their direct reports in ways that build the team’s professionalism and effectiveness.
- Train and mentor development staff and communicate fundraising goals and progress throughout Internews.
- Manage a small team of 3 – 5 staff members in the US and Europe to implement the private sector institutional fundraising strategy.
- Ensure flow down of strong managerial practices as well as clarity across the team regarding roles, responsibilities, and goals.
- Manage the department budget for private sector development.
- As required, provide writing guides, outlines for ideas for consideration, concept notes, and proposals for teams working to raise private sector funds.
- Develop and manage timelines for various fundraising activities to ensure strategic plans and critical processes are carried out in a timely manner.
- Oversee, develop and execute annual plans for private sector fundraising from institutional donors, including a plan to make pitches, represent the organization at conferences, and write and submit concept notes and proposals.
- Develop and manage a robust donor pipeline in support of the organization’s mission.
- Monitor and evaluate development activities to ensure that goals are being achieved.
- Ensure high quality and timely submission of proposals/concept notes to private funders.
External Representation & Communications
- Working with program teams and the Vice President of External Affairs, ensure the implementation of established communications strategies for private sector institutional donors/programs.
- Design and oversee donor communications with private institutional donors.
- Serve as a spokesperson for private sector portfolio programming, including working with the Vice President for External Affairs to advance Internews’ work with the public, our supporters and potential supporters, online and in person.
- Solidify Internews’ leadership in the private sector philanthropic community.
- Lead donor outreach strategy and represent the organization with key donors, working in close collaboration with Program and Technical leads.
- Represent Internews at key donor conferences and/or events.
- Working in collaboration with others, represent Internews with private sector donors and partners, including securing and preparing for donor meetings.
- Identify donor forums and consortia and augment Internews’ visibility in these donor networks, meetings, and conferences.
- Build relationships with community stakeholders to advance the mission and fundraising goals of the organization.
- Develop and maintain key long-term relationships with donors and prospects.
- Manage & brief donor engagements for President and other Executive Team members.
- In coordination with Internews’ Grants and Contracts office, work with other members of the Global Development team to submit proposals following funders’ procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- 10+ years’ of prior work experience in business development/fundraising, with a proven track record with raising significant funds (gifts upward of $1 million) from private sector donors, including foundations and corporations
- Project leadership experience in planning, leading and managing development projects including coordinating with peers and direct reports to achieve desired outcomes, and tracking and reporting on progress to senior managers/board of directors
- Passion for the role of media and increased access to information in changing lives
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and actively seek to deepen current donor relationships and forge new ones
- Skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising with excellent writing skills and well developed skills forming new relationships
- Ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials
- Experience and credibility when presenting materials to external audiences
- Demonstrated effectiveness in working with others to reach common goals and objectives
- Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with peers, across different levels of the organization and externally
- Proven ability to operate effectively in a multicultural environment; must be able and willing to work well with a diverse range of colleagues to achieve ambitious fundraising targets.
- Willingness and ability to travel as needed
- Relevant University degree required
- US work authorization required
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Prior work experience with Internews a strong plus
- Media background/experience a plus
- Private sector experience a plus
- Master’s Degree in appropriate field a plus
- French, Spanish or Arabic language skills a plus
- 2 years of overseas programming experience a plus
- Prior experience working in the media development field
- Prior experience with event planning
- Prior experience with Salesorce
How to apply
To apply, please submit CV and optionally a cover letter via our Careers page.
Closing date: 10/11/2022