1. Reporting Line:
The Senior Press and Public Information Officer reports to the Chief of Staff.
2. Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
· To lead, manage and coordinate the staff and work of the Press and Public Information Office;
· To act as the Mission main spokesperson and communicate the work of the Mission to the public;
· To maintain a close working relationship with the Spokesperson of the High Representative in coordination with the Civilian Conduct and Planning Capability (CPCC);
· To draft, review and implement the Strategic Communications Plan of the Mission;
· To organise and conduct press conferences, briefings and other media events;
· To cover the media aspects of high-level visits, supervise and coordinate arrangements for visiting journalists/media;
· To supervise and contribute to the development and maintenance of an effective Mission website and social media accounts;
· To advise and contribute to the drafting of press releases, public statements, media summaries, articles and features;
· To manage the Press and Public Information budget, procurement processes and contract/tender/designs for Mission visibility items;
· To coordinate with the press offices of other EU Delegations, the EU Special Representative and other EU actors in the host state;
· To monitor disinformation against the interests of the Mission in close cooperation with input from the Mission Analysis Capability, Security and Duty of Care and CIS;
· To implement gender-responsive leadership and ensure gender and human rights mainstreaming internally and externally in mandate implementation;
· To uphold a strict zero tolerance policy to misconduct, including all forms of harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination and abuse, and proactively ensure an equal and inclusive work environment for all staff;
· To raise awareness of staff on their rights, obligations and appropriate standards of behaviour, including existing formal and informal complaint and support mechanisms;
· To make sure that the political sensitivities (Somaliland, relations between the Somalia Federal Government and Somalia Member States) are taken into account in the communication activities.
3. General Tasks and Responsibilities:
· To identify and report on lessons learned and best practices within the respective area of responsibility;
· To contribute and ensure timely reporting on activities within the respective area of responsibility;
· To take account of gender equality and human rights aspects in the execution of tasks;
· To undertake any other related tasks as requested by the Line Manager(s).
4. Essential Qualifications and Experience:
· Successful completion of university studies of at least 4 years attested by a diploma OR a qualification in the National Qualifications Framework which is equivalent to level 7 in the European Qualifications Framework OR a qualification of the second cycle under the framework of qualifications of the European Higher Education Area, e.g. Master’s Degree OR equivalent and attested police and/or military education or training or an award of an equivalent rank. The qualification should be in any of the fields of Communication Sciences, Political studies, International Relations, Humanities, Social sciences or other related field; AND
· A minimum of 6 years of relevant professional experience, after having fulfilled the education requirements, out of which a minimum of 2 years at coordination/management level.
5. Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Ability to exercise collaborative, sound and effective leadership;
· Analytical skills and experience on analysing and developing the performance of public information activities, including social media;
· Ability to manage, mentor and motivate a professionally diversified and multicultural team;
· Ability to establish plan, and review priorities;
· Ability to communicate and engage with senior officials and governmental decision makers;
· Knowledge of formulating and implementing a communication strategy/plan;
· Experience and skills in digital communication;
· Networking skills and initiative;
· Presentation skills.
6. Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
· Experience as a spokesperson and institutional communication;
· Experience running media and outreach campaigns;
· Experience in planning and implementing projects;
· Knowledge of disinformation;
· International experience, particularly in crisis areas with multinational and international organisations.
· The experience should be in the field of communications/press and public information.
7. Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Knowledge about the local press and media environment.
How to apply
THIS ADVERTISEMENT IS FOR EU CITIZENS ONLY:
- You have the nationality of an EU Member State: You must use Goalkeeper to apply:
a) You are already registered on Goalkeeper AND you have an EU Login:
b) You do not have a Goalkeeper account or an EU Login:
- You do not have the nationality of an EU Member State:
only seconded nationals of a non-EU Contributing Third State can be proposed by their National Seconding Authority (no personal applications will be considered): please contact your
seconding authority to send them your application form.
Please note: Seconded positions are only available for candidates already validated in
the database of their Seconding Authority. Please contact your national Seconding
Authority for more information on applying for vacant Seconded positions. We cannot
provide contact details of national Seconding Authorities.
General Information on working in a CSDP Mission: