Austrian Study Center for Peace and Conflict Resolution
The Austrian Study Centre for Peace and Conflict Resolution (ASPR) is an independent, nonprofit, and non-partisan organisation. It is engaged in conflict resolution, capacity building and research. More information about the institute and its activities can be found on its website (www.aspr.ac.at).
The ASPR seeks a Senior Researcher
Application deadline: 06 October 2022
Workplace: Stadtschlaining or Vienna, Austria (with frequent travel to MENA / Sub-Saharan Africa)
Starting date: 01 November 2022
The Senior Researcher will be responsible for:
- the development of the ASPR research portfolio and to essentially contribute to the ASPR’s conflict resolution and training programmes
- attracting third-party research funds and further develop the ASPR’s research portfolio and research team
- putting a focus on applied research integrating the research work into the ASPR’s other work streams and ASPR focus topics (Environmental Peacebuilding and Peacetech)
- represent the ASPR in the international peace research community
- participating in the development of further ASPR capacity development and conflict transformation projects and cross-cutting activities.
- maintaining and developing relationships with the ASPR’s partners and networks – especially in MENA / Sub-Saharan Africa
- Master’s degree (minimum) in a relevant field and open for specialization (essential)
- Minimum five years of work experience as research practitioner (essential)
- Research project management experience (essential)
- open minded for field/practical experience (working in/with fragile and conflict affected states) (essential)
- ability to travel to fragile and conflict affected states especially in MENA and Subsaharan Africa (essential),
- excellent teamworking skills and ability to work under pressure (essential), • personal interest and knowledge in ASPR programmes (desirable)
- experience in working with the ASPR focus topics Environmental Peacebuilding and Peacetech (desirable)
- enhanced experience in working with conflict sensitivity and gender in fragile contexts (desirable),
- practical experience in conflict resolution and peacebuilding activities (desirable),
- established international networks in MENA / Sub-Saharan Africa (desirable),
- C2 skills in English (essential), and knowledge or the willingness to learn German (desirable),
How to apply
The Senior Researcher will report to the ASPR director. The position is preferably based in Vienna or Stadtschlaining, Austria, for which EU citizenship or a valid work permit for Austria is required. The position is two-year fixed term, with the possibility of extension.
The minimum gross annual salary amounts to EUR 60.000, all in. Depending on skills and specific experience, over-payment may be considered.
Please send your application documents, consisting of a letter of motivation that outlines how the criteria for the position are matched, a curriculum vitae, and the names and contact details of two referees, via email to Silvia Polster at [email protected]
The deadline for applications is 06 October 2022 (end of the day). Delayed applications cannot be considered
Closing date: 10/6/2022