Danish Refugee Council
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs working in 40 countries worldwide, is currently looking for a highly qualified Shelter Officer (Engineer) for Chernihiv Office
DRC has been operating in Ukraine for more than 10 years with emergency and durable solution interventions for assisting IDPs, returnees, Host communities, and conflict-affected populations. With the outbreak of the conflict in February 2022, DRC has shifted its programming to emergency response to meet the urgent needs of conflict-affected population in the country. Current DRC programming is focusing on protection activities such as protection monitoring, information dissemination, Individual protection assistance, and legal aid. DRC is also planning to add to the ongoing emergency protection response activities such as GBV prevention and response, Psychosocial support (PSS), and community-based protection.
In addition to protection programming, DRC is currently implementing Multipurpose Cash Assistance (MPCA), NFI and Food distributions, Shelter & WASH interventions, and Economic Recovery, Humanitarian Demining and Explosive Ordnance Risk Education. The organization counts with 6 offices in the country.
Overall purpose of the role
- Ensure the quality of the planning, implementation, and follow-up of all technical aspects of the Shelter activities being implemented by DRC
- Develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern, relevant stakeholders, and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s sector activities
Shelter Sector responsibilities:
- Ensure the quality of all Shelter activities including the day-to-day supervision of partners, contractors and quality control
- Ensure quality of assessments, procurement documents and scope of work related to shelter activities
Geographic scope: Base (Chernihiv)
This role has the base focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the area. The Officer provide inputs and is in line with base strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to base operations.
- Reporting to Shelter Team Leader (Engineer)
- Follow all relevant project tools, plans, and budgets
- Project implementation, reporting and evaluation
Programming & Operations
- Ensure efficient and effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan
- Provide technical support and inputs on all shelter activities
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on sector relevant issues
- Represent DRC at meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings
- Ensure integration with other DRC sectors
- Support the monitoring of financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-up
- Ensure that all the shelter assistance related documentation is prepared in compliance with the Ukrainian legislation and DRC requirements
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution
Required experience and competencies:
- 2 years of relevant experience, preferably with experience in the field of humanitarian response
- Practical experience in sector area working for an INGO is prefer
- Professional experience, as an engineer in charge of construction projects or similar
- Professional proficiency in English desirable
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Skills in GIS software and AutoCAD are an asset
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Master’s degree in Civil Engineering or another relevant field
Contract length: 3 months renewable depending on performance and funding.
Designation of Duty Stations: Chernihiv
Start date: As soon as possible.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for national staff.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 30th of September, 2022