For over 50 years, The Manoff Group, Inc. (TMG), a woman-owned small business, has been an international leader in designing and assisting the implementation of social and behavior change programs that effectively promote healthy behaviors and allow populations to enjoy an improved quality of life. TMG’s innovative Behavior-centered Programming approach offers a practical methodology for realizing measurable and sustained behavior change at the individual, community, and organizational levels. Our methodology is based on human-centered design principles and employs techniques from disciplines such as anthropology, behavioral economics, psychology, marketing, and communications to strategically build programs that enable people to practice life–enhancing behaviors. All project work is carried out in the spirit of collaborative learning and co-creation.
The Nawiri program is funded through the USAID Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA). Its aim is to deliver a package of multi-sectoral services to strengthen local institutions to sustainably reduce persistent acute malnutrition among vulnerable sub-populations of Isiolo and Marsabit Counties in Kenya. The project has transitioned from a 2-year research phase informing Nawiri program priorities and pathways to change, to a 3-year implementation phase to implement those evidence-based interventions at scale.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Social and Behavior Change Program Officer will work closely with the SBC Integration Advisor to support implementation of cross-cutting social and behavior change activity implementation in Marsabit County, Kenya. This position will report directly to Nawiri’s SBC Integration Advisor, and also report to TMG’s Senior Advisor for Social and Behavior Change for Nawiri, based in the United States. This position will work closely with the Social and Behavior Change Program Officer for Isiolo County to ensure program cross learning between the two counties.
The position will be based in Marsabit county, one of the Nawiri implementing counties and will be responsible to ensure that all SBC activities support the achievement of Nawiri integrated behavior change activities in Marsabit county. The position will be responsible for the timely implementation of all SBC related activities based on designed SBC practices, capture lessons learned and use these to inform iteration of strategies. The SBC officer will also take a leading role in coordination with all project staff and partners in the consortium to adhere to the SBC strategy and approach in Marsabit county. The Social and Behavior Change (SBC) Officer will provide overall technical assistance for supporting the design, implementing, monitoring social behavior change strategies and activities across and within the program interventions.
Specific Duties include:
Strategy and Activity Development and Planning
- The individual will participate in the preparation for any necessary SBC related materials, support materials development, pre-testing, and integration as directed by SBC Integration Advisor for Nawiri activity implementation.
- Work closely with Nawiri implementation consortium partners, and other organizations working in the same area to plan and integrate activities targeting the same community.
SBC Activity Implementation and Coordination
Per agreed upon strategy and the Nawiri detailed implementation plan (DIP), the program officer will supervise roll-out of SBC activities in designated county, including
- Coordinate monitoring of activities as designed in the Nawiri SBC Strategy
- Ensure timely implementation of all SBC related activities based on the developed Nawiri SBC strategies, and the Nawiri DIP.
- Coordination with all project staff and partners in the consortium to adhere to the SBC strategy and approaches.
- Work closely with project technical and management staff to generate stakeholder inputs, and support in development of implementation plans which integrate SBC strategies, at all levels.
- Work with frontline service providers including the community mobilizers, community conversation and engagement teams working in the different Nawiri intervention approaches to ensure quality roll-out of SBC interventions to the communities and households.
Capacity Building, Mentorship, and development
- Identify sector-specific SBC champions to drive SBC activity implementation, build their capacity on SBC, accompany, mentor, and monitor implementation/integration of their sector specific SBC interventions to ensure overall program quality.
- Capacity building of different teams at the county, providers, community, and Nawiri LIPs (Caritas) on behavior led and human centered designs activities and approaches
- Lead and motivate the community own resource persons (e.g., CHVs) to ensure effective project implementation.
- Train and mentor community-level change agents (i.e., interpersonal communication agents, community mobilizers, other community stakeholders) in the use of Nawiri SBC strategy and engagement with priority audience segments.
- Work with local implementing partners, community-based organizations (CBOs), Faith based Organizations (FBOs) to define contextual desired behaviors and community expectations and structures for behavior uptake.
- Train community groups, committees, and teams to implement Nawiri SBC activities including storytelling and IPC activities.
- Work with Nawiri implementing partners and community leadership to implement social accountability strategies for behavior change and provide leadership and support as needed and evaluate performance regularly.
- Capacity build the Nawiri implementing teams and community own resource persons to co-create and integrate Nawiri SBC strategies, and to ensure they have the requisite skills and knowledge to implement SBC interventions as required.
Monitoring, evaluation, and documentation
- Participate in the Nawiri quarterly and annual work planning process in close collaboration with Nawiri Implementing teams in Marsabit County and subcounty government teams and the project staff
- Prepare high quality narrative reports as required, ensuring they are submitted for review in a timely manner. This will involve compilation of information from a range of project staff and implementing partners
- Serve as a technical knowledge, skills, and experience hub for Nawiri SBC in Marsabit County in documenting and sharing best practices and innovations for replication and advocacy together with the Accountability and learning team.
- Work closely with the monitoring, evaluation, accountability, learning and research teams to ensure that all SBC-related monitoring plans, reviews, accountability, learning, evaluations are in line with the donor guidelines and are being implemented as required.
- Facilitate appropriate dissemination and documentation of SBC related good practices and lessons learnt for in the project internally and externally to donors, county governments, consortium partners and other key actors for use in adaptive programming for immediate and sustainable reduction of acute malnutrition.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND BACKGROUND
- 3-5 years’ experience in design and implementation of evidence-based behavior change strategies in Kenya, ideally, but not necessarily, related to young child nutrition, agriculture, or food security
- Understands social and behavior change concepts, and keeps abreast of the latest developments in the field
- Experience working in the ASALs and on behavior change interventions within the ASAL regions in Kenya.
- Able to build consensus among partners and stakeholders at different levels
- Strategic thinker who enjoys creative and innovative concepts, processes, and product development
- Strong collaborator able to work with colleagues of different backgrounds to develop new ideas and perspectives
- Demonstrated ability to articulate concepts well in writing and speaking
- Proficiency in MS Office and internet applications required
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in one of the following or related fields: Anthropology, Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, communication, or international public health/nutrition with a specialization in behavioral science
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in nutrition and/or health behavior change activities in the ASAL region, Experience in Marsabit County is a plus
- Demonstrated success in applying behavior change theory and approaches in field settings
- Demonstrated success working with local government and NGO stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability in group facilitation at both community and County level
- Must be authorized to work in Kenya
How to apply
To apply, please send a CV and a cover letter to [email protected] with ‘SBC Program Officer – Marsabit’ in the subject line by 30th September 2022.
The Manoff Group, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and provides excellent benefits and a salary commensurate with experience.