Role & Responsibilities
Working under the supervision of the Supply Chain Specialist, in the Logistics Operation Unit in Switzerland that covers various countries, the Global Emergency Response Team (G-ERT) and includes Switzerland for supply chain activities. This position contributes and enables the operativity of the Swiss office and its relevant flow of supplies and services for the use of Swiss office and field country programmes and G-ERT.
Medair Global Support Office (GSO) provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters and affiliate offices, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes, and to recruit international and GSO staffs*.* The Global Logistics team manages all activities related to procurement, supply chain management, infrastructure, fleet, equipment & communication means. The team also develops policies and processes related to logistics activities in the field. The GSO Logistics Operations team is specifically responsible for Global and GSO Procurement, Supply Chain Management and Base Operations in both Switzerland and Nairobi Offices.
Workplace & Working Conditions
This is a GSO position based in Ecublens, Switzerland. Swiss, EU citizens or with a valid work permit may apply.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 11 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Managing assigned procurement including Global Emergency Responses, goods and services.
- Responsible for data entry and tracking procurement requests ensuring procurement of the right product, at the right time, to the right location, at the right prices using the right procedures in compliance with Medair and donor guidelines.
- Advise and support customers in planning, organising and monitoring their procurement.
- Liaise with suppliers; build and maintain supplier relations and administrative related tasks.
- Monitor actual procurement against conditions agreed in long term contracts and framework agreements and ensure contract, supplier and procurement records are kept up-to-date.
- Act as Medair shipment officer for the own procured goods or services; make sure shipments are organized in time and according to the right procedures, considering international, national and customs regulations; follow up shipments and communicate schedules with consignees.
- Ensure that Medair finance procedures are followed to support internal control monitoring.
- Work with Budget holders, Grants Manager and GSO staff to prepare and to develop project budgets and shared costs. Leading financial closures and finances of signed donor grants.
- Responsible for the GERT kits procurements, stock availability, replenishment and administrative steps.
- Support and assist the general work and administration of the Logistics team.
- Cover for other Logistics team members when absent or re-assigned to support emergency response.
- Proactivity towards continuous improvement & simplification with efficiency and saving opportunities.
- Support the BPEs Focal Points within Medair; ensuring policies and procedures are up-to date and serve as reference point for questions, information and training.
- Internal communication with employees, interns, volunteers and Logs Field staff.
- External communication with public institutions and suppliers including other stakeholders.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree is preferred, preferably with Supply Chain or Business Operations.
- Certification in humanitarian logistics or similar preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
- Minimum 2 years professional experience in operational logistics is preferred.
- Experience of logistics in a cross-cultural, challenging environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, Power point and Outlook.
- Prior experience with Supply Chain software solutions desirable. European market knowledge an asset.
- Can carry out related responsibilities with minimum guidance.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively both internally and externally and both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work across institutional boundaries, units, and teams in an effective and productive way.
- Knowledge of international humanitarian guidelines and donor standards related to logistics.
- Proven experience and knowledge of operational logistics and supply chain, policies and procedures (i.e., stock warehousing management, fleet management, asset management, transportation, custom clearing, etc.). Experience of implementing supply chain related projects desirable.
- Experiences of working in emergencies or conflict environment experience in international organization settings desirable.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and perform multiple tasks. Good organizational and planning skills.
- Detail-oriented. Team-spirit for collaboration.
- Continuous improvement spirit, energetic & hard-worker.
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.