Tomorrow’s Youth Organization
TYO embraces the value of intercultural exchange in an increasingly globalized world. Over the past 12 years, more than 130 international interns from all walks of life have come to our flagship center in Nablus, Palestine to help strengthen Nablus’ local refugee communities and similarly vulnerable groups. They have advanced the holistic, intergenerational, person-centered approach at the heart of our community development programs for children, youth, women, and parents.
TYO’s International Internship Program offers students, recent graduates, and young professionals a chance to develop their professional and intercultural skills by gaining work experience in a non-profit organization in the Middle East. Interns work full-time for a period of three months in cooperation with TYO local and international staff.
Creativity, fun and positivity are key in all our programs at TYO. We look for people who are curious, humble, empathetic, have unmatched integrity, and a genuine desire and work ethic to make the lives of our community a little better every single day. If this sounds like a good fit for you, get in touch!
Who you are:
- You have some teaching experience and training in either a formal or non-formal setting as a teacher, summer camp counselor, coach, intern, tutor, etc.
- You are a fluent English speaker.
- You are pursuing or received undergraduate or graduate studies in education, psychology/social work, international/community development, communications, or related fields.
- You have a love for learning and teaching. You will have both the empathy to understand the challenges your students face and the dedication to create a structured and creative learning environment.
- You have experience working in linguistically and culturally diverse settings.
- You have strong oral and written communication skills.
- You have maturity, flexibility, initiative, perseverance and a good sense of humor given the challenging nature of daily life in Palestine.
- You have a commitment to TYO’s non-political, non-religious approach and respect the cultural norms of the organization and community.
- Experience in monitoring, evaluation and reporting is a big advantage.
- BONUS: Experience in sports, music, drama, and art.
- BONUS: Arabic language skills.
What you will do:
- You will facilitate daily non-formal education classes for children, youth, and/or women.
- You will focus most of your time on preparing and teaching experientially-based, creative English courses for our Early Childhood Education program and our k-10 students, that support holistic, psychosocial-based learning.
- Depending on your experience, skills, and interests, you may also contribute in areas like media & communications, professional development, business development, and the creative arts (e.g. music, drama/theater, arts & crafts).
- You will work on additional projects in other programs depending on TYO’s needs and your skills, passion and experience! This may include programs for women, adolescents, entrepreneurs, and young athletes.
- You will receive support from a translator (as needed) who will assist you in communicating with your volunteer team and students. You will contribute to weekly monitoring and evaluation reports.
- You will write blog and social media posts during your internship for TYO’s website and social media platforms.
How it works:
We offer an unpaid internship for 12 weeks during the Summer Session (May through August). We hope it will be some of the most rewarding weeks of your working life!
Date of arrival: May 18, 2023
Date of departure: August 10, 2023
Selected interns will receive:
- Roundtrip ground transportation from/to the airport
- Housing (room and board) as well as a weekly stipend to cover groceries at TYO’s expansive center
- Local SIM card and credit for local texts and calls (no data) for the duration of the internship
How to apply
Applications are open in March and April for Summer interns. Please complete the following application: https://forms.gle/SZQWsgUxbVSmkzPo9
We will reach out to schedule an interview if you are selected to proceed in the application process.
Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis until positions have been filled so please apply ASAP. TYO reserves the right to fill positions before the application closing date. We can’t wait to meet you!
Deadline: 11 May 2023