UN Institute for Training and Research
Location: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (FLEXIBLE/REMOTE WORKING CONDITIONS MIGHT BE POSSIBLE)
Duration of the contract: Four to six months. The traineeship programme is normally on a full-time basis and trainees are expected to work five days a week. Requests for part-time arrangements are possible and should be agreed before the start of the traineeship.
Deadline for submission of applications: 20 November 2022
Organizational Unit: Multilateral Diplomacy Programme Unit (MDPU)
The Multilateral Diplomacy Programme Unit (MDPU) of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) maintains a traineeship programme for students/recent graduates interested in gaining professional experience in a multicultural environment and enhancing their understanding of the United Nations system.
MDPU designs and delivers the Institute’s core diplomacy training (CDT), consisting primarily of orientation briefings and short, intensive skills development workshops which benefit cumulatively some 2,500 diplomats yearly at the United Nations Headquarters and other venues where the Organization maintains a significant presence.
Parallel to CDT, MDPU develops and delivers training activities at country and regional levels in close partnership with governments, universities and selected international organizations. MDPU’s activities also include e-Learning courses; special projects, advisory services related to the curriculum development of diplomatic academies; and the development of other training tools and publications.
In line with the Institute’s efforts to improve its training activities and special events, the Multilateral Diplomacy Programme Unit is enhancing its outreach and communication strategy and products.
MDPU welcomes qualified candidates interested to work for a period of four to six months, at UNITAR headquarters in Geneva. The placement is on an unpaid basis, but a monthly lump-sum of 700 CHF will be provided towards transportation and miscellaneous costs.
Under the supervision of the Programme Officer of UNITAR’s Multilateral Diplomacy Programme Unit, the trainee will assist with the development and design of UNITAR’s external products (brochures, advertisements, online advertisements, web products and promotional and training videos). The trainee will assist in designing new products, showing originality, professionalism and creativity, whilst adhering to UNITAR’s branding guidelines. The trainee will also be responsible for assisting in communications and outreach activities, including social media. Typical tasks assigned to the trainee may include the following:
- To support colleagues in the development of MDPU’s external communication products, such as brochures, advertisements, web design, promotional and training videos as well as online courses;
- To adapt training materials and learning packages to quality and professional standards and UNITAR guidelines;
- To liaise directly with partner organizations and beneficiaries in preparation for the delivery of these products;
- To undertake research that may provide necessary input into such outreach and training materials;
- To assist the Unit in its outreach and communication strategy (including social media and webpage management);
- To draft news articles and infocus articles about past and future activities;
- To monitor MDPU’s Alumni platform as well as other information platforms;
- To maintain and develop UNITAR’s communication database to ensure the efficient and effective dissemination of information and coordination amongst the global diplomatic community.
The tasks assigned may be reviewed during contract period to reflect changes in programme needs and priorities.
After the assignment the trainee should be able to:
- Translate strategic vision into actionable objectives;
- Work independently and take initiative;
- Be familiar with UNITAR’s branding guidelines;
- Ameliorate, adapt and design UNITAR’s external products in a professional way;
- Develop a professional rapport with UNITAR and United Nations staff;
- Propose ways to further UNITAR’s mission;
- Work in a multicultural environment.
Applicants must be enrolled in an undergraduate/graduate/postgraduate degree (within either international relations, education, history, law, political science, languages or a related subject) or be a recent graduate of the aforementioned (if selected, they must commence the traineeship within two years of graduation).
Candidates should also have: demonstrated interest in training methodologies; ability to write in a clear and concise manner; analytical and research skills; administrative and organizational skills to assist in the organization of training activities; computer skills (to deal with e-learning tools, word processing, excel, power point, internet search, etc.) and a high level of individual responsibility, commitment and initiative. Candidates should furthermore have an interest in participatory training methodologies and instructional design, as well as being motivated to work with monitoring and evaluation.
Language – Excellent knowledge in both oral and written English are required. Knowledge of other UN working languages (especially French) are an advantage.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your application, along with a letter of motivation, as soon as possible.
Due to high number of expected applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.