This is an opportunity to join NORCAPs pool of Wash experts. NORCAP deploys experts to support individual agencies, governments, regional and international organisations and this position(s) is for Talent pool.
Being a member of the NORCAP expert pool means that you can be offered several assignments within your area of expertise in different contexts. Deployments normally last 6-12 months. You will also have the opportunity to connect with a large number of experienced colleagues and exchange knowledge.
The mission of The Programme is to help countries, and to coordinator international action, to prevent, prepare for, detect, rapidly respond to, and recover from outbreaks and emergencies.
At the country level, the incumbent will provide technical expertise in planning, monitoring, evaluating, coordinating and implementing support of environmental health interventions with a focus on provision of safe drinking water, adequate sanitation, hygiene, and infection control (with focus on safe and dignified burial of contagious bodies, medical waste management).
During deployment duties may be modified, based upon the needs of the Programme.
- Provide emergency rapid assessment expertise for WASH (water, hygiene, sanitation, waste management), vector control and infection control inventory and needs in the health facilities and for the health activities in response to the emergency situation.
- Monitor and report on country progress on WASH activities within the health facilities and for health activities in the context of the incident management system. Evaluate gaps and needs and propose remedial actions for improvement.
- Advice, and when required provide onsite support to the health partners on WASH, proactively co-design and coordinate the implementation of plans to build up or rehabilitate emergency health facilities.
- Provide onsite support to ensure applicability and appropriate implementation of the recommended infection control activities in the health facilities and for the health activities, specifically for medical waste management, safe and dignified burial of infectious bodies, health staff and patients protection.
- Verify that WASH, vector control and infection control activities are conducted and set up in the health facilities in compliance with Sphere and Standards.
- Secure water, hygiene, sanitation and infection control expertise within the WASH cluster, providing implementation guidance.
- Lead the training for partners to build up local competences and ease the implementation the water, hygiene and sanitation standard for all health activities.
- Write required evaluation or situation reports to ensure appropriated communication with lead and all related technical experts.
- Perform any other related incident-specific duties, as required by the functional supervisor.
- An Advanced university degree (Master’s level or above) in engineering, health of humanitarian logistics or other related field from an accredited/recognized institute, with specialization in water and sanitation.
- Complementary studies in public health water, sanitation and hygiene is desirable
- Degree or training in computer applications in water and sanitation project design and related database systems, is desirable.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience, at the national and international levels, in the design and implementation of water and sanitation assessment and/or the design and management of related projects in emergency situations. Experience in developing and promoting collaborative actions with national authorities.
- Some experience or a sound knowledge of UN organizations/agencies, health cluster partners, recognized humanitarian organizations, international institutions or NGOs. is desirable
- Good computer skills in Microsoft Office.
- Fluency in English. French, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic or Russian is an advantage
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment.
- Ensuring the effective use of resources.
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Functional Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of emergency response situations in the field of water and sanitation with proven ability to identify and solve technical problems in difficult circumstances.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, with proven ability to elaborate and implement projects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to promote cohesive action and convince officials with tact and diplomacy.
- Knowledge of, the UN system or a nongovernmental organization (NGO) work in the field of response relief and/or of their practices and procedures as related to the work.
How to apply
We can offer
- Rewarding work for a renowned global organisation
- Access to a network of humanitarian, peace, and development professionals
- Join NORCAP’s team of experts and be considered for future assignments elsewhere
- A dedicated Staff Care Unit
Based on what you have read in the above, would you like to help strengthen the quality, relevance and impact of humanitarian response? If so, you are encouraged to apply to join NORCAP’s pool of experts.
Application procedures and CV registration:
Follow the Link to apply
- Please note that only applications made in English will be considered and please include all relevant education and career history within your application. Please include your full name as written in your passport. Uploaded CVs alone will not be reviewed.
- Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no speciﬁc ﬁeld for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” ﬁeld for both company and location
- NORCAP values diversity, equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates.
- NORCAP reserves the right to conduct a full background check on shortlisted candidates
- Approved Health Certiﬁcate will be required prior to contract commencement and deployment
- All applicants will get feedback within four weeks after the closing of this advertisement.
- Apply before 26th March 2023, 23.59 PM (Oslo time)
Deadline: 26 Mar 2023