Danish Red Cross
Would you like to be part of Danish Red Cross’ international engagement, promoting localization and local leadership?
About the position and the assignments
Danish Red Cross (DRC) is looking for three new colleagues with strong interest in and experience from working within the sphere of National Society Development (NSD)/ Organisational Development (OD) and with knowledge of the Red Cross Movement.
As branch development professional you will have a thematic focus on branch development, volunteerism or youth engagement in the DRC international operations and will carry out technical support within these areas to local Red Cross/ Red Crescent National Societies.
You will work with local community based Red Cross Red Crescent organisations in conflict affected areas in close coordination with ICRC. This entails regular travelling to key context for facilitation of development processes and follow-up as well on-going sparring and to enable better and more effective Host National Societies.
You will be using your skills and experience to ensure quality and contribute to the further development of DRC approaches to National Society Development focussing on in fragile contexts in close collaboration and coordination with DRC HQ NSD specialists.
You will become part of DRC’s Strategy and localisation team in the operations unit and be part of the branch development working group and resource pool.
The positions will be based in each of the three DRC regions: Africa, MENA and Eurasia, the specific locations are yet to be decided but could be countries such as: Syria, Palestine, Lebanon, Sudan, Ethiopia, Niger, Mali, or Bangladesh. Frequent travel is to be expected; up to 30% surge globally and 50% support to key priority countries within the region of deployment.
The positions will have technical reference to the DRC HQ NSD Specialists and a management reporting to Head of Region. You will work particularly with other branch development and NSD colleagues. Additionally, you are to coordinate and work with relevant colleagues in the International Department at HQ, in the region of deployment and Country Offices and priority HNSs.
Your main responsibilities will be to:
- Support key HNS in the in developing its frameworks and roadmaps, strategic approaches and implementation plans with a special emphasis on Branch Development, Volunteerism and/or Youth Engagement.
- Carry out support and follow-up regularly with identified key HNS in the region in close coordination with DRC Country Managers.
- Contribute to the DRC BD resource pool and working group by providing quality assurance & support to branch development and undertaking technical missions and surge mission.
- Advise on DRC’s global support to branch development.
- Provide support and facilitate development processes on Branch Development, Volunteer Development or Youth Engagement in HNS and its branches in priority countries, with a specific focus on the region of deployment and where no DRC bilateral BD Delegate is deployed.
- Contribute to good RCRC Movement coordination of NSD in close cooperation with ICRC, IFRC and other relevant partners engaged in NSD.
- Contribute actively to the capitalization of learning within the DRC to further develop a well-defined DRC approach to NSD with emphasis on Branch Development, Volunteerism and Youth Engagement – including development and adaptation of tools and guidelines
- Document and share best practices/learning to support global DRC institutional learning (incl. adaptation of tools relevant to branch development.)
- The Branch Development professional should maintain up to date personal expertise on Branch Development, Volunteer Development or Youth Engagement and able to take up a co-leading role on development of DRC NSD toolbox.
- We are looking for a professional with at least five years of international experience with humanitarian and development organisations.
- You have experience from supporting organisational and capacity development processes on one of the following: branch development, volunteerism, or youth engagement.
- You have a very good understanding of the operation and synergies between development initiative and operations.
- You are able to analyse HNS strategies, operational challenges and relate these to your technical area of expertise.
- Field experience in a fragile or conflict setting is preferred.
- Demonstrated skills in developing and adopting tools and facilitating processes.
- You apply a counterpart approach to supporting organizational and capacity development
- You have experience with project management and partnerships and working with communities
- Experience from the Red Cross Movement and its approaches to branch development would be an advantage.
- You have excellent English language skills. Main languages in the region of deployment Arabic/French is considered an asset.
- You are a good communicator and a team player, but also structured, systematic and good at meeting deadlines.
- The position requires flexibility, the ability to take lead and independently drive processes and agendas.
- You are able to go on field missions including for emergency response.
The branch development advisors will become part of DRC’s Strategy and localisation unit in the operations unit and be part of the branch development working group and resource pool.
The three positions will be based in each of the three DRC regions: Africa, MENA and Eurasia. The duty station within the regions can be discussed, based on profiles, operational opportunities and needs. Frequent travel is to be expected; up to 30% surge globally and 50% support to key priority countries within the region of deployment. The positions are full-time the length of the contract is 18 months with the possibility of extension.
Salary and employment conditions will comply with Danish Red Cross’s terms and agreements.
Your future workplace
The Red Cross is present before during and after a crisis. We save lives every day, and we equip people with the tools they need to get through crises and disasters. In Denmark, we support vulnerable people in society lead safe and healthy lives and aim to increase their resilience. As the world’s largest humanitarian organization with more than 17 million volunteers in 192 countries we help local communities after disaster strikes, in armed conflict and in the remotest corners of the world, regardless of their gender, age, religion, race or political views or other status.
International Department in the Danish Red Cross supports vulnerable people in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Middle East, in close cooperation with Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies in more than 25 countries and have an annual turnover of more than 600 million Danish kroner. We work specifically on delivering lifesaving services and building capacities and resilience both through long term activities and short-term response within health, disaster management, inclusion and migration.
How to apply
Application and further information
If you would like to know more about the position, please contact Titte Obelitz Soe, NSD Specialist on [email protected] or +45 40168908 or Jon Kristiansen, Senior Advisor, National Society Development and Localization, on [email protected] or +45 21864542.
Starting date will be as soon as possible. We expect interviews to take place week 43. To apply, follow the link Røde Kors – 3 Branch Development Professionals (easycruit.com) and click on the ‘Apply now’ link to create a profile and upload your CV and motivational letter no later than 20.10.2022
*Closing date: 20-Oct-22