1. Reporting Line:
The CIS Officer – Database Administrator reports to the Head of Communication and Information Systems Section (CIS).
2. Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
· To administer database systems in the Mission;
· To develop detailed database/software specifications, functional specifications, and user documentation for the systems implemented;
· To assess, plan, analyse, design, program, and implement web-based/desktop interfaces and applicable technologies, technical reports, operating instructions, guidelines, and procedures for the applications produced/modified;
· To identify needs and define application/database requirements; organize and implement user training troubleshoot problems and assist with change requests;
· To act as the custodian of all Communication and Information Systems assets, including hardware, software, radio, satellite communication equipment and video teleconferencing;
· To provide support for Mission telephony systems including IP telephony, videoconferencing, and GSM equipment;
· To deploy Windows Operating System and device management tools and verify the successful update of device configuration according to IT policies;
· To troubleshoot issues affecting Windows Operating System, printer and network connectivity, software functionality, radio network,
· To ensure IT and communication assets are used in accordance with best practices and procedures;
· To perform annual general maintenance of all hardware, software and communication equipment and ensure functionality within accepted technical parameters;
· To maintain contact with Security and Duty of Care Department for technical and security instructions and implementation;
· To operate and maintain encryption devices/systems and prepare procedures and user manuals for approved users of crypto systems;
· To oversee the implementation of all Communication and Information Systems Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
· To prepare IT systems user guides and manuals for end users (e.g. printers, laptops, desktops, tablets, projectors, etc.) and communication assets (VTC, smartphones, satellite phones, radios).
· To cooperate with the other CIS Officers and link with commercial companies and other actors the Mission is working with for data retrieval;
· To be responsible for documentation of the database configuration and to assure that trustworthy backup of the databases, source codes, and applications are performed daily;
· To act as 1st and 2nd level support for Mission staff in all CIS related issues in conjunction with the other CIS Officers;
· To monitor and maintain the Mission network and systems;
· To plan, implement, and maintain data recovery tools, business continuity measures, and disaster recovery measures, ensuring high availability of mission-critical data centre services throughout the Mission;
· To participate as required in duty trips in the area of operations of the Mission, including to high-risk areas;
· Database management of the Document Management System (M-Files);
· Management of the backup & restore processes, and the disaster recovery plan;
· Intranet (PHP 7.0, Bootstrap 4.0, MySQL);
· Certificate management (S/MIME, ADS, ePKI, organisational stamp, CA);
· Management of the Core Database.
3. General Tasks and Responsibilities:
· To identify and report on lessons learned and best practices within the respective area of responsibility;
· To contribute and ensure timely reporting on activities within the respective area of responsibility;
· To take account of gender equality and human rights aspects in the execution of tasks;
· To undertake any other related tasks as requested by the Line Manager(s).
4. Essential Qualifications and Experience:
· Successful completion of university studies of at least 3 years attested by a diploma OR a qualification in the National Qualifications Framework which is equivalent to level 6 in the European Qualifications Framework OR a qualification of the first cycle under the framework of qualifications of the European Higher Education Area, e.g. Bachelor’s Degree (the qualification should be in any of the fields of Information Technology, Computer Science, Telecommunications, IT Engineering or other related fields) OR equivalent and attested police and/or military education or training or an award of an equivalent rank; AND
· A minimum of 4 years of relevant professional experience, after having fulfilled the education requirements.
5. Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Expert technical skills and hands-on experience in troubleshooting server hardware and software issues;
· Problem-solving skills and analytical ability to analyse complex technical customer problems, and manage the same on a day to day basis;
· Practical experience with the administration of document management systems;
· Practical knowledge of current scripting languages;
· Practical knowledge of enterprise Public Key Infrastructures (ePKI), S/MIME, and Active Directory mechanisms in regards to certificate and key management;
· Expert technical skills and hands-on experience in troubleshooting server hardware and software issues.
6. Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
· At least 5 years of progressive experience of problem-solving skills and analytical ability to analyse complex technical customer problems, and manage the same on a day to day basis;
· International experience, particularly in crisis areas with multinational and international organisations;
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations as a team member in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment;
· Is used to work on a multitude of activities at the same time and with limited supervision;
· Excellent analytical, research, and problem-solving skills;
7. Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Ability to converse in business terms about organisational technology needs and solutions, and in technical terms with IT and communications specialists;
· Advanced knowledge of Information Security Management: ISO 27X & BS7799;
· Experience with configuration management tools and services;
· Practical experience with radio communications systems, satellite communications and positioning/navigation technologies (e.g. Thuraya, Iridium, GPS), and related antennae systems;
· Practical knowledge of current programming languages;
· Experience with the project management of software implementation projects;
· Practical experience with the “M-Files” Document Management System.
How to apply
THIS ADVERTISEMENT IS FOR EU CITIZENS ONLY:
- You have the nationality of an EU Member State: You must use Goalkeeper to apply:
a) You are already registered on Goalkeeper AND you have an EU Login:
b) You do not have a Goalkeeper account or an EU Login:
- You do not have the nationality of an EU Member State:
only seconded nationals of a non-EU Contributing Third State can be proposed by their National Seconding Authority (no personal applications will be considered): please contact your
seconding authority to send them your application form.
Please note: Seconded positions are only available for candidates already validated in
the database of their Seconding Authority. Please contact your national Seconding
Authority for more information on applying for vacant Seconded positions. We cannot
provide contact details of national Seconding Authorities.
General Information on working in a CSDP Mission: