International Rescue Committee
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 28 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The Information Technology (IT) department at the IRC comprises of the following teams delivering enterprise technology capabilities for the IRC:
Global Technology Shared Services
Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Management
Business Relationship Management
Program Technology & Data
HR Information Systems (HRIS)
Enterprise CRM & Marketing Technology
IRC’s Marketing Technology team within the Information Technology Department is responsible for managing the enterprise supporter management platforms that support the global delivery of the International Rescue Committee’s private sector resources, as well as the key partnerships, advocacy and influence objectives of the External Relations, Communications and Advocacy departments. These platforms also play an important strategic role in the creation of IRC’s brand, its awareness and support for fundraising and advocacy goals. The platforms include the Enterprise CRM platform, various donation platforms, the IRC global website and email communications platforms.
Job Overview / Summary (What and Why):
The IRC is seeking a self-motivated and technical savvy individual to lead our CRM Audience Management Team, a critical function on IRC’s Global Marketing Technology Team.
The CRM Audience Management team is a key stakeholder in driving IRC’s approach to audience data management and is tasked with planning, designing, and executing data quality routines; and proactively monitoring, measuring, analyzing, and reporting on data quality issues to the organization. The team develops protocols, creates and implements monitoring procedures to ensure data quality and standardization, and delivers process improvements to how audience data is pulled, managed and delivered. In addition, the team provides ongoing support, training, and documentation to multiple global teams, helping them to capture and extract audience data for analytical decision making across IRC’s systems.
The CRM Audience Management Lead will be responsible for maintaining IRC’s audience management architecture, currently using SQL Server. The Lead’s primary focus will be on supporting the US, UK and Global Markets’ direct mail audience needs and may expand to other channels as needed. The lead will perform hands-on technical data manipulation, clean-up and management in MSSQL and Salesforce, with a focus on administering and delivering functional solutions to meet IRC’s fundraising goals. The Lead will be involved in the design, implementation, deployment, and documentation of projects that leverage the Salesforce, ETL, and SQL toolset. Working with a wide range of key stakeholders this role requires an engineering mind set, good people skills and the ability to manage staff.
- Creates queries, mailing lists, and reports from our CRM database platform/s to support and monitor offline / online / telemarketing / cross-channel donor outreach and fundraising results.
- Coordinates with offsite acknowledgement, mail production, and analytics/reporting vendors.
- Creates and merges inhouse acknowledgement files, letters and forms; reports on donation responses; and strategizes new ways to optimize this program.
- Monitors donor solicitation preferences, maintaining mailing/outreach schedules, and reviews mail plans for adherence to these preferences.
- Creates efficient tracking processes for donor outreach efforts; develops reports on donor activities, including customer service calls, sustainer recapture efforts, event invites, prospect manager maintenance, and action reports.
- Delivers audience data for donor recognition and specialized donor outreach, including annual report and other publication listing letters, donor milestone letters, and donor gift processing issues.
- Assists with Salesforce support and specific enhancement projects
- Evaluates system performance and design, as well as its effect on data quality.
- Directly supports the engineering and development of SQL back end.
- Supports CRM business process automation projects and data optimization projects.
- Collaborates with database developers to improve data collection and data reporting.
- Perform complex data analysis/management tasks and provide support for related data warehouse infrastructure (SQL databases, scheduling and ETL tools, and key integrations).
- Communicate proactively and frequently and modify technical information as needed so that it can be understood by stakeholders to enable their decision-making.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Associate Director, CRM, and Data Management
Position directly supervises: 1-2 staff
Indirect Resources: Collaborates with other staff on cross-functional development and project teams.
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal*:* Close collaboration with global colleagues working in the areas of CRM, digital technology, and analytics across External Relations, IT and Communications teams.
External: May collaborate with external digital vendors and consultants.
Impact of work: Supports IRC’s ability to generate digital donations in excess of $60 million annually, measure and improve on data management, and deliver of segmentation and reporting for fundraising, and policy initiatives to expand the IRC’s impact, brand awareness and to generate revenue.
Minimum: Associate’s Degree
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Minimum: 8 years of experience with relational database technology and creating queries and lists for fundraising/marketing campaign
- Experience building / maintaining a CRM Database for use in list pulling & reporting
- Experience with backend architecture design/development to facilitate complex list pulls
- Experience providing lists to 3rd parties for further processing (printing, NCOA,…)
- Has facilitated database updates with inputs from 3rd party printer, telemarketer, other
- Supported or managed database migration projects
- Significant demonstrable professional work experience with SQL toolset and relational databases (non-profit experience a plus) and IT delivery, IT services, and professional services environments.
- Experience creating basis for data CRM quality checks.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency in programming languages, including Excel VBA/macros and MSSQL queries.
- Accuracy and attention to detail a must; sensitivity when working with highly confidential information and ability to always maintain complete discretion.
- Proven ability to plan and independently manage a variety of projects and high work volume: must work well under pressure, prioritize, show flexibility, and solve problems creatively.
- Experience with creating views, stored procedures, and functions.
- SQL database experience using T-SQL, SSIS, SSRS, query performance tunings, database development, implementation, data manipulation and complex custom reports, and underlying data models.
- Experience in ETL Design sessions.
- Experience with MSOffice VBA.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to communicate technical issues to non-technical audience.
- Strong customer service orientation
- Experience in fundraising operations in a non-profit fundraising environment
- Experience with DBAmp, Heroku or other Salesforce related cloud technologies.
- Past experience with large-scale communications management (1,000,000 records or more with test segments and targeted populations), mail production, analyzing fundraising revenue and expenses, and database systems set up
- NPSP Salesforce experience.
- Experience in supporting fundraising applications for non-profit organizations.
- Experience in working effectively with an Agile delivery model.
- Experience with web services or application programming interfaces is a great plus;
- Experience in implementing business intelligence and data warehouse solutions.
- Experience managing staff, vendors or contractors.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
Salesforce, Data Loader
Excellent Excel and Excel VBA
MSSQL – SSMS, SSIS, SSRS
PostgrSQL, MySQL, SOQL
Relational databases management, particularly import/export and query functions and data shifting
Excellent communications and interpersonal skills with ability to interpret business needs into value-add data outcomes
Able to maintain the highest standards of ethics, caution, and discretion when working with confidential information
Licenses or Certifications: None required
Language Skills: English Fluency
Working Environment (Optional): Remote