ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
In this position, the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Associate will support the MEL Specialist to develop, manage and continually improve the GIF project’s monitoring and evaluation methodologies and systems that measure the results and overall impact of the GIF project.
Under the MEL Specialist’s guidance and supervision, the GIF project’s MEL team will ensure that program staff and project partners are empowered to effectively monitor programs, draft documents, and collect data, and utilize that information to improve learning within the team and within Internews as an organization. The MEL Associate will also support the analysis and learning to continuously inform and improve the project, including aiding with the facilitation of regular reflection sessions and data quality assessments, as well as more outcome harvesting, internal evaluations, and impact tracking.
This position will support a global, Internet freedom initiative funded by USAID. Internews launched this three-year initiative in August 2020 to enhance digital security for civil society and media organizations, to engage citizens in internet governance debates, and to advance human rights online. The effort will place regional and local organizations at the forefront of the fight to preserve an open, interoperable , reliable, and secure Internet. By supporting localized Internet freedom initiatives within a global, community-based Internet Freedom strategy, the GIF Consortium will construct strong local and regional bulwarks against a rising wave of digital authoritarianism.
You’re an ideal candidate for this position if you have previous experience working in program management or specifically on supporting the implementation and management of MEL systems; are excited to work with grassroots civil society organizations to improve their MEL capacity; have a keen attention to detail, but are also able to keep an eye on the bigger picture; have a voracious desire to learn; and the desire to help protect human rights defenders, journalists, and marginalized people around the world. The GIF team is dynamic, flexible, and highly collaborative. We value open and honest communication and a great sense of humor. You’ll fit in well if you appreciate a good gif.
This is a remote-based position and applicants based in the following locations will be considered: United States, United Kingdom, France, Tanzania, Kenya, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Moldova, Lithuania, Liberia, Mali, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa and Serbia. You must have work authorization in your location that does not require sponsorship from Internews.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will be ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Support the MEL Specialist to develop, manage and continually improve the GIF project’s MEL systems;
- Proactively identify obstacles to implementation of MEL systems and recommend appropriate solutions;
- Attend project activities, team meetings, and trainings;
- Support the creation of evaluation tools, ensuring data is collected consistently by partners/beneficiaries and analyzing the collected data;
- Collaborate with the project team on appropriate data collection methods, tools, and reporting formats and prepare the M&E frameworks;
- Ensure data is consistently collected and stored; use data collected to create visual representations of GIF’s success and impact;
- Support the development of reports, analysis of findings, and creations of recommendations as required for project planning, performance management, and reporting;
- Participate in periodic review and planning meetings, generating minutes and lessons learned documents and discuss results of data and plan action steps to build on strengths and address weaknesses;
- Develop close working relationships with all GIF team members, project partners, and other stakeholders;
- Provide the GIF project team with the needed paperwork to help better plan, monitor and adapt the activities;
- Work closely with the program team to ensure the project’s success through documenting relevant success stories;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- English language skills required;
- 1-3 years of experience related to the design and implementation of MEL activities implemented by national/international NGOs OR programmatic experience that included MEL activities;
- Interest and excitement about learning and implementing evaluation methodologies, as well as learning about new and innovative evaluation approaches;
- Strong research and analytical skills;
- Good writing and/or reporting skills;
- Excellent organization and communication skills
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated experience with training and capacity-building;
- Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, mixed methods and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies OR interest in learning;
- Experience related to designing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis, and production of reports;
- Experience in planning and managing surveys;
- Knowledge of Russian or Portuguese (highly preferred), French or Spanish
How to apply
To apply, please submit CV and optionally a cover letter via our Careers page.
Closing date: 21-Oct-22