MSF - Holland
Place in the organisation
The position reports to Coordinator of Operational Logistics of the Field Support Unit (FSU) and functionally reports to the Coordinator Technical Logistics (Back Office) and the Coordinator Field IT.
Objectives of the position
The Regional Telecommunications Expert provides telecom support to the missions of different Operational Centres of the organization and contribute to the installation of effective and efficient telecom setups.
Perform in the field support visits / consultancies (80% of the time):
- Audit radio and satellite telecom setup of the missions to advice and support local improvement and compliance to standards.
- Support in writing/updating the country specific communication hardware/ telecom policy covering the setup and use of analogic and digital Radiocom equipment (HF and VHF transceivers, antennas, repeaters), portable Satcom equipment (Thuraya, Inmarsat, Iridium, BGAN) and movements trackers.
- Advise the coordination on:
- The choice of most efficient telecom equipment and their configuration
- Identification of the roles and responsibilities of the staff in the mission
- Generate/Update the telecommunication Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs) and execute installation of improved telecom systems directly.
- Organize and deliver trainings (classroom and on the job) to the logistics staff in order to support the implementation of the policy, SOP and good practices in the country.
- Ensure optimal performance of the telecom equipment in the mission: ensure repairs, maintenance and configuration are done according to recommended practices.
- Analysing the current situation in the field, designing, and supervising the installation of improved telecom systems.
- Assess local market for availability of quality spares, supplies and equipment; assess the quality of local / regional service providers (i.e. maintenance, repairs, preventive servicing, trainings, etc.).
- Contribute to the empowerment of the field staff in charge of the local support (ITC officers) – identify learning needs and opportunities to cover gaps, lead actions to strengthen the capacity of the staff (through webinars, video shooting, distance training/mentoring, setup and moderation of community of practice and trainings during field visits).
- Adhere to MSF-OCA Field Consultancy Guideline (ToRs, Reporting).
Duties not specific to field support visits / consultancies:
- Follow-up support request from the field users (e.g. trouble shooting, repairs, configuration).
- Provide second line support to field missions (when required).
- Support missions in setting up Telecom services in the start-up of (medium/large scale) emergencies.
- Join field deployment during onset of technical and/or operational emergency.
- A minimum of 3 years professional experience involving the technical management of radio telecom infrastructure
- Experience as a radio amateur is highly desirable
- Previous overseas work experience in humanitarian assistance experience is a strong asset
- Ability to work independently with minimum and/or without supervision
- Excellent communicator and stakeholder engager, capacity to build and maintain a network relevant for the organization
- We are looking for one candidate with an excellent level of English, and a French speaking candidate (with good level of English)
- Strong knowledge and experience with telecom infrastructure (Bgan, VSat, Tel Sat, Radio PMR, AIR BAND, HF, VH, Satcom, mobile network…)
- Expertise in digital radio and mobile embedded systems is an advantage.
- Ready to spend 80% of his/her time in the field
A challenging and exciting position in an international environment
A one-year contract with renewal option.
L&D will support you with a variety of learning and development opportunities (e.g., language courses, leadership courses, technical courses etc.)
The role requires 80% of the time to be spend in the field, and 20% working from home. We can only contract residents of one of the countries where MSF has an office (subject to terms and conditions of the local salary grid and labour laws). For this role, no relocation support is offered. You can see where we have offices via this link: https://www.msf.org/contact-us
How to apply
If you recognise yourself in this profile, we welcome you to apply directly via our website and upload a letter of motivation + Curriculum Vitae (in English) as one combined document
The closing date for applications is 24 October 2022 at 23:59 CET.
Selection may be by means of two interview rounds
Please note that only candidates that fully meet the requirements of the position will be taken into consideration
*Closing date: 24-Oct-22